FORD FUSION PARKING BRAKE PROBLEM

2009 Ford Fusion • 150,000 miles

Just replaced pads and rotors all 4 wheels, brakes are now spongy and soft, have to pump them to get them to work properly. What to do next?

Ford is the only manufacturer that is still using the miserable rear calipers with built-in parking brake assemblies. You have to work the parking brake to run the pistons out to the pads. Those pistons do not self-adjust like the front ones do. You may have to remove the rear calipers and hold them in various positions to get all the air to bleed out. It gets trapped inside the pistons. Simply bleeding like on the front will not work. Ford is also well-known for their parking brake cables rusting tight in a year or two. If that has happened you'll have to use a large channel lock pliers to work the parking brake levers on the calipers.

Thanks for the reply.
Even though I did not disconnect the calipers, I still have to bleed the brakes?

Steveporter
Sorry for the confusing information. My reference to bleeding the air out has to do with replacing those calipers on Fords and older GMs. All you need to worry about is adjusting the pistons out on the rear calipers. That is done by working the parking brake repeatedly until the pads contact the rotors. You can do that to each caliper with a big pliers if the cables are rusted tight. Once you have them adjusted they will continue to self-adjust from that point on as the pads wear down.

Thanks, I'll give that a try in the morning.

Steveporter