BRAKE LIFE

2007 Ford Fusion

Brakes problem
2007 Ford Fusion 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 19000 miles

What is a good rule of thumb for the life of brakes?

At 16000 miles, I had to replace the rear brakes. The right side was ~90% worn and the left was ~50%. Had both replaced including calipers. I requested they replace the OEM clips with the metal ones. Now I'm told, at 19000 miles, that I have ~50% left on front, which I figure is normal, and ~55% left on the rear, which I figure is not normal. My thinking is that I should be able to get at least 30000 miles on a set of new brakes. Am I wrong and do you have any suggestions?
Yrneh

In my opinion, it really depends on the type of driving you do. My wife has a minivan that she shelps the kids all over the place. ALL CITY DRIVING. Plus, she has some bad driving habits (should have discussed this in pre-marriage classes). HA HA

So I end up replacing the brakes every 20k (front) and the back 35k.

What type of driving do you do? All highway?

Dolemite44149
Thanks for the response. If your wife reads over your shoulder, you could be in trouble. : -)) I drive about 30 to 40 miles per day mainly freeway.

Yrneh
I agree with your original concern. If you are doing mostly highway miles, you should be able to get more miles on the brakes.

The only thing I can think of - if on the original replacement job you had, if they brakes werent " re-set" so to speak, it is possible that the new brakes started doing the majority of the stopping and that will shorten their life span quite a bit.

Did you have a dealer do it? Or yourself? Or a local mechanic?

Dolemite44149
A " certified mechanic". What do you think about my idea of a set of brakes lasting at least 30,000 miles, depending on the driving conditions?

Yrneh
Hey I have a 2007 ford fusion wich I bought new. I just replaced the front brakes pads for the first time two weeks ago and I have 93,000 miles on the car. The rear brake have about 25% left on them. One question that might help out this situation is rather you have ABS on your car. I would also suggest looking and you emergency brake linkage for adjustment since this controls only the rear brakes.

Carfreak247
HI there,

just to add my 2 bobs worth, through my work shop the average is normally 2 sets of fronts to 1 set of rears, with the life solely dependent on driving conditions, braking habits and pad choice, I don't like the feel of ceramics and we don't use many organic pads, semi metallics tend to give the best results, but the harder you use them the faster they wear out.

Mhpautos