BRAKE REPAIR ON S 4CYL MA

2006 Ford Fusion

Brakes problem
2006 Ford Fusion 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual ~39800 miles

Has anyone replaced the brake pads and/or rotors yet on their 2006 Ford Fusion? We are looking to replace the back brake pads this weekend and replace the front brake pads next weekend. (And possibly the rotors if they are too worn.) Are they pretty straightforward for repair? My husband has done plenty of brake jobs so he's pretty sure of what to do. But since this is our first car purchased brand new (2 years back), I'm a little worried since I can't find a repair manual online anywhere yet for my car.
Note- Anything that will no longer be covered under warranty my husband and I will be working on ourselves.
Thank you for any help you can offer!
K
R03ss1er_ZandK

Are you sure with only 39000 miles that they need replaced? The brakes are pretty straight forward on them, but are they bad already?

Flexy5
Thank you for your reply. Yes, you can hear a grinding noise coming from the back drivers side tire. Also, today when I was driving I noticed my stopping power was decreased since the last time I drove the car, which was about a week ago. Zach has been driving the car lately while I drive our heavy Dodge Intrepid in the snowy weather.
The brakes didn't even get looked at today because it was WAY too cold in WI right now. It was a high of 4'F today with a below zero windchill. So the brakes will have to wait until next week. I actually got into my car today, and my odometer read 40,000 : shock: Kristen

R03ss1er_ZandK
I just got out from under my 06 fusion on the same wheel and for the same issue. I'm having a bit of a rough time getting the caliper piston to descend, but otherwise it looks fairly straightforward for pad/rotor replacement. You do need a Torque nut to get the rotor off if you need to do that. Anyway, good luck!

Mrb783
I just recently had to replace the rear pads on my '07 Fusion with 36,800 miles on it. This is very abnormal. In regards to getting the caliper piston to retract, I haven't seen the answer posted so I thought I would post what I figured out after scratching my head to over an hour. The caliper piston will walk back in if you spin it. There are four notches in the piston, likely for a special tool, but I just used a screwdriver in one of the slots to rotate the piston. It will walk in or out like a screw. Hope that helps other complete their pad replacement quicker than me!

Wsander2
For rear brakes, just use a nose plier to screw the piston in. Make sure to clean it with brake cleaner. That will make it easier to avoid damage to the boot.

I had the problem with rear driver side. I did have to replace the rotor. Same noise as everyone else complained. The brake pad was completely worn out. The other rear brake pads were almost completely worn out too.

Mudabbas