WON'T CRANK

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe • V8 • 90,000 miles

2005 Tahoe will act like it wants to start, electronically, gauges turn, beeps, ac, radio, etc, but won't crank. Did this once before about a year ago, but waited a few minutes and it started. No luck this time. Suggestions?
Tyler Griffin

So the starter won't turn the engine over?Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?

It doesn't make any mechanical noise at all. The gauges all move, lights come on, radio, ac, but the engine doesn't respond. Like something electrical is loose. Don't have a multimeter.

Tyler Griffin
So have you have you had the battery tested and made sure the battery cables are clean and tight?Also you will need a multimeter or a test light at the very least to diagnose this. The security light isn't on or flashing is it?

Well, I got it to start by turning the key backward to reset then forward. Started and stopped it three times. Does that sound like it makes sense?

Tyler Griffin
Sounds like you could have a bad starter or something like that. Something could have cooled down etc and now it works.I would still have your battery tested and make sure the battery cables are clean and tight. Also do you have a test light atleast?

I don't but I'm sure one of my buddies does. The battery is pretty fresh and the connections are tight and clean. Is there a way someone can test the starter if it is working ok? Or does it have to be acting up?

Tyler Griffin
Here is the problem with starters most of the time they dont just die they die slow and mess with you with a no start here and a now start there. You will have to see if you have power at the S terminal at the starter where the purple wire goes with the key in the start position when it doesn't start if you do bad starter. That is way to find the problem. If you don't have power there then we have a differnt issue and will have to trace the problem down. Let me know what you find.

Thanks a lot for the help. I will do that if and or when this happens again. Thanks again.

Tyler Griffin
Your welcome thats what were here for keep me posted.