AC PROBLEMS

2005 Chevrolet Silverado • 102 miles

I have a 2005. Chevy silverado 4.3l and have ac problems I cehecked refridgerent its good actually all they way in red (but I figured its cuz it isn't working) and I have power going to compressor clutch the blower motor still works just blows hot fuses are good and I can spin the clutch on the front ofnthencompressor by hand but it wont spin with ac on its an expensive fix and I don't have money to get it tested and then fixed going through a rough patch with money and I live in Texas so yeah its hot and ac was prologue used a lot before I got the truck it worked. Great then one day just stopped do you think you can help determain the problem. Thanks
Bkaempfe1989

We need to see what the high and low pressures are not just the diy gauge says its in the red. So the ac compressor doesnt engage when turning on the ac?

No it doesn't engage with ac on I thought one time when trying to find the problem the compressor made a click noise but I'm not sure if it came from that or not it just sounded ike I did if that helps but the clutch never started spinning I'm not sure about the click noise like I said.I thought it might of came from the compressor

Bkaempfe1989
Alright the first thing I do is check the high and low pressures when checking the ac.

How would I go about doing that I don't think I have the resources to do so I have the diy gauge you know the one from a walmart or something

Bkaempfe1989
You would have to get a manifold gauge set with the hoses and the high and low gauges. They even sell them at harbor frieght tools.I bought one from there a couple of years ago that iam still using till I get the money for a better set.

Ok can you give me steps of what should do and what kind of pressure should be in the hoses? And if they aren't what they aren't what they should be what would that mean I need or if they are at the right pressure what would be next step? I'm going to try and do it while at work tomorrow so I wont have Internet connection to follow up with you till after 5 I'm a golfcart mechanic so we have a lot of other tools and things where it is easy to work on my truck there

Bkaempfe1989
Skewed pressures could be all kinds things deoending on what they read. You said the compressor doesnt even come on so the first thing we need to do is see what the high and low pressures are?They should be even without the compresor running. Probably around 100psi also you need to pay attenion if the ac compressor comes on cycles etc?If it cycles what is the high and low pressures when the compressor turns off?Does the truck run hot?

Also make sure the manifold gauges are closed before hooking up the hoses to the truck. If there are valves on the hose ends that hook up to your truck then make sure they are turned all the way counter clock wise before hooking them to your truck. Then once there hooked up then screw them down when removing the hoses from the truck turn the valves back clock wise before removing them.

The psi is good on the lines and no the compressor doesn't kick on or cycle or anything

Bkaempfe1989
Alright what are the actual pressures readings high and low side?You telling me there ok doesnt tell me much. Also you said you have power to the ac clutch?I just caught that part if you do and the terminal isnt open and the power is at the terminal sounds like a bad ac compressor clutch. Also do you have auto climate control or manual ac?