Won't start all the lights come on!

CHRISTINA FIDLER
  • 2000 SATURN SL1
Ok my car started to NOT start one day. Stopped for lunch went to leave didn't start no sound nothing turn the key dead! All the lights and everything work the battery and the cables fine! After like a minute it started. Then same day stopped for gas and had to sit like 5 minutes after pumping gas before it would start! Progressively--in line 2 days got worse and wouldnt start at all, I could put it in gear roll it a few feet then I could get it to start when I turn the key or I could pop the clutch(which I hate to do it's hard on my old Myrtle --that's my car)--but it starts! Ok so I had the crank shaft positioning sensor replaced and for 3 days it started stopped ran no problem, last night boom wouldn't start popped the clutch drove home. This morning no start and the first time it has EVER MADE a grrrr noise when I turn the key but only for like 1/2 a second! Now dead again and all lights on!
Wednesday, April 19th, 2017 AT 2:54 PM

STEVE W.
It sounds like you have multiple issues. One is a poor power or ground connection between the battery and the engine. It is common for the connections to corrode and fail. The repair there is to check all of the battery and power/ground connections to the engine. The grounds to the engine in particular.

Next it sounds like you may have a sticking EVAP purge valve, that could be the cause of the "fill the tank, no start" issue. If they stick open you get excess fuel vapor in the engine at start-up and the rich mixture won't fire. (Just like flooding the car). Could be related to a poor ground if the power is intermittent or low due to the resistance of a bad connection.

Doesn't sound like a crank sensor failure though, those normally mean the engine turns over but won't start, and they won't pop start either.
Wednesday, April 19th, 2017 AT 5:29 PM
CHRISTINA FIDLER
Shod I even check the starter then with multimeter?
Thursday, April 20th, 2017 AT 10:58 AM
CHRISTINA FIDLER
And oh yea tried a few tunes to start again and not even a peep lol! Isn't there a noise the car should make like a click noise of the starter is bad? Do cars still do that??
Thursday, April 20th, 2017 AT 10:59 AM
SATURNTECH9
Sounds like you just have a bad starter to me that's common on those cars to do those symptoms. When the starter is inoperative no noise see if there is battery voltage to the purple wire at the starter. Also trying when it's acting up lightly taping on the starter with the key in the start position. Most of the time with a bad starter the starter will start working when you tap on it with the key in the start position.I worked on these cars for over 16yrs for Saturn so I know them well.
Thursday, April 20th, 2017 AT 1:25 PM