Is the problem the starter or starter relay?

MARKO0223
  • 2000 SATURN SL1
When I turn the key the radio and lights and everything comes on but the car won't start. There is no clicking noise from the starter. If it is the starter relay where would that be located. If it is the starter is there anyway to get it started one more time so I can take it to get it fixed?
Tuesday, February 21st, 2012 AT 3:59 PM

FIXITMR
There is no starter relay. try tapping on starter when holding start. if it works brushes are bad replace starter. if that don't happen check small wire at solenoid for power when key is start. if power exists check engine for good battery strap ground. if ground good and power at wire replace starter. the cover on rear of starter body removes to inspect brushes.

Here is a wiring diagram to show you how the system works and a guide to have you see what you are in for when doing the job.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-starter-motor

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
-2
Tuesday, February 21st, 2012 AT 5:22 PM
SATURNTECH9
Just to add to this one what usually happens on those starters is the solenoids go bad. Since you cant hear the solenoid click then solenoid isnt moving and brushes wouldnt be getting power. Best bet is to check the battery all connections and see if the purple wire to the starter solenoid has power when the key is in the start position. If so bad starter.
+1
Tuesday, February 21st, 2012 AT 5:52 PM
FIXITMR
Good starters now if I could just find a place to buy parts like drive and brushes.
Tuesday, February 21st, 2012 AT 9:55 PM
SATURNTECH9
It all depends on the starter you can try www. Rockauto. Com
+1
Tuesday, February 21st, 2012 AT 10:01 PM
FIXITMR
No go for my 98 sl2 and google didn't turn anything up so that freaked me. Maybe try rebuild shop.
Tuesday, February 21st, 2012 AT 10:17 PM
SATURNTECH9
Are you sure its the brushes?Most of the time its a starter solenoid which I have seen for sale on ebay.
Tuesday, February 21st, 2012 AT 10:22 PM
FIXITMR
Last time was brushes. On the permanent magnet starters I didn't think they worked at all if brushes are shot. Dont click or nuthin.
Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 AT 9:46 PM
SATURNTECH9
The solenoids click when there good when the brushes are bad you get a clicking solenoid and the starter is inop. Most of the time you get no click on those starters which is a bad solenoid.
+1
Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012 AT 11:14 PM