Here is an old service bulletin for a hard start. Check it out and see if this will help you?
BULLETIN NO.: 01-T-26
ISSUE DATE: May, 2001
CATEGORY TYPE: Engine-12
CATEGORY: Emission Controls
Engine Cranks But Will Not Start or Engine Starts But Fuel Gauge and Tachometer Are Inoperative. Scan tool is also unable to communicate with PCM and DTC U1016 is stored in BCM and/or SDM (Verify Battery Cables and Ground Connections)
2000-2001 Saturn S-Series vehicles
Some customers may comment that engine will crank but not will not start or engine starts but fuel gauge and tachometer are inoperative.
Intermittent battery cable or ground connection may eventually lead to a PCM class 2 communication failure. PCM communication may be restored by disconnecting and reconnecting battery.
Disconnect, disassemble, and inspect positive and negative battery terminals and inspect engine harness grounds using the procedure in this bulletin. If necessary, replace battery terminal bolts.
1. With ignition On, verify the loss of communication with PCM and that DTC U1016 is stored in BCM and/or SDM with a scan tool.
2. Using a test light or volt meter, verify that both the PCM B and PCM 1 fuses in Underhood Fuse Block (UHFB) are OK.
3. Disconnect both battery cables and remove bolts from terminals.
4. Inspect battery terminal and battery terminal bolts for signs of damaged threads. If threads are damaged, replace battery terminal bolt.
NOTICE :If battery terminal thread damage prevents proper installation with a new bolt, replace battery.
5. Reinstall both battery cables.
Battery Terminal Bolts: 17 N.m (13 ft-lbs)
6. Inspect both main and rear engine grounds at top of trans axle housing for tight connection.
7. Inspect positive battery cable at starter solenoid for proper connection.
8. With ignition On and engine Off, connect scan tool and attempt to read data from PCM (disconnecting and reconnecting PCM power will likely restore normal operation).
If communication can now be established with PCM, start engine and clear any DTC's from BCM, SDM and PCM.
If communication can not be established with PCM, refer to the service manual diagnostic chart for DTC U1016.
Monday, November 8th, 2010 AT 9:04 PM