Will not start

SUZANNA SMITH
  • 1996 NISSAN ALTIMA

My battery is new, starter is working and alternator is working. But put key in one turn all indicators all no and dinging. Hear click from engine. Last turn nothing. Help me please.

Thank you,
Ms. Suzanna Smith

Saturday, April 1st, 2017 AT 6:09 PM

2CARPROS KEN

It sounds like you have a starter motor that has gone out. Here is a guide that will show you how to test and replace the starter.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-starter-motor

Please let us know what happens.

Best, Ken

Tuesday, April 4th, 2017 AT 2:03 PM
ALILLEY7290
  • 1996 NISSAN ALTIMA

1996 Nissan Altima 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual

I got in the car this morning to go towork and it won't start. We have cleaned the battery connections. Every thing comes on in the car like the battery and lights but it just won't start. There is gas and oil. What should I do next?

Tuesday, April 4th, 2017 AT 2:05 PM (Merged)
KHLOW2008

Hi alilley7290,

If the engine won't crank, then the battery might be bad or the anti theft system is armed. If equipped with immo, check for a faulty key, try using the spare key.

If it cranks but won't fire up, you have to check whether it is electrical or fuel that is the cause.

+1
MIROM2

Get yourself some staring fluid and open the airbox and spay a few sprays above the air filter into the tube, close up and try to start, if car starts then you have a fuel issue, read the rest of my post cause it sounds like I had the same problem and 3 cars shops were clueless and never even did the starting fluid test.
Hi, I have had a similar issue, took the car to a shop they replaced a bunch of parts that they said were definitely bad, but thats another story, they gave me a BS story each time they replaced something, and I am talking a reputible shop in town here, not some joe shmo, found the issue myself after doing some thinking, if you cannot start car, have someone else turn key for you and you listen from backseat with the larger half of the seat folded forward, the fuel pump is right below where the velcro connects the trunk carpet right below there, but to get to it back seat comes out, along with the round pressed metal surround under the plastic pieces there along with them. Anyways listen for the fuel pump as the other person turns key, you cant do this test yourself. If you hear nothing, its most likely it, try a few times, then get out and rock the car back and forth a couple times from side to side, at this point the wire which is half broken inside may align itself, try listening again, if you are able to start car, then get the sending unit or fuel pump harness kit, forget which it was, but the wire that is bad is the one that connects to top of the fuel tank seal and the other side to the fuel pump. I hope this saves a lot of headaches for everyone, and I can't believe that nissan doesnt even have this documented. Definite design flw, basically what happens is while driving the sending unit along with fuel pump are suspended by 2 fuel lines and this wire harness, and it, just like any piece of metal eventually partially breaks when folded back and forth a thousand times.I dont believe you can buy the cable itself, it comes as a part of the kit or sending unit, one connector is flat, other square with rounded corners, I believe around 80$ bucks at nissan dealer only. Good luck, let me know how it works out.
-Miro

MJONES1010
  • 1996 NISSAN ALTIMA

1996 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 240000 miles

While turning the car over it sometime attemps to start.
The mass control sensor has been change, spark plugs, wires, fuel filter, rotor and filter all have been changed.
What could the problem be.

BMRFIXIT

Check for spark
check fuel pressure
what is missing
start with fuses and relays
crank sensor fuel pump
and the list goes on and on

check for codes
check spark
check fuel pressure
check timing
let us know what is missing

MIROM2

Get yourself some starting fluid and open the airbox, and spay a few sprays into tube above filter, close up and try to start, if it starts and dies, the you have a fuel delivery issue, read the rest of the post and it could save you some cash, email me if any questions.
-Miro

BSANTOS88
  • 1996 NISSAN ALTIMA

So I cracked my radiator 3days ago and so now it sounds like its choking. 3 moths ago I had blown the head gasket and had it replaced I didn't change out the radiator, but was told it was gona crack soon. Person who's gona install radiator tells me water got in the oil. And that's why it sounds like its choking. I'm thinking he must first put in new radiator then top it with antifreeze and then try to start it. Or why won't it start? He trying to start it with the old cracked radiator still in the car.

WRENCHTECH

QUOTE "So I cracked my radiator 3days ago and so now it sounds like its choking."

It's hard to believe that even after having to repair a blown head gasket, you still drove it with a broken radiator. You are likely in for more major engine repairs now due to driving it this way.

COOKIETRAY
  • 1996 NISSAN ALTIMA

When I turn the key it makes a brief revving noise followed by a humming and rattling. Would this be the starter, solenoid, or something else?

Tuesday, April 4th, 2017 AT 2:06 PM (Merged)

If it stops when you let off key and engine starts it may be the starter have it checked.

OCASIAL
  • 1996 NISSAN ALTIMA

1996 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 99,696 miles

I have a 1996 nissan altima GXE. I went to go and turn on my car. The car wouldn't start. It's not the battery the lights turn on, the windows go up and down and the radio turns on. When I turn the key nothing happens. It doesn't sound like it trying to start. If you stand by the hood on the passenger side you hear a click when you turn the key. Any suugestions what it could be & is it easy to fix?

Check fuse B 30amp in the fusible link/fuse box at right front shock tower.

Get the battery load tested if okay-make sure its cleaned and tightened properly. Don't work could be the ignition switch and inhibitor switch on transmission

LILOLILLIS

The click you are hearing could be the starter solinoid. If you can tap on the starter with a hammer and it cranks its the starter.

ZSCHUSTER13
  • 1996 NISSAN ALTIMA

I have an altima that wont start I. Crank nothing happens but everything turns on than when I go to hit the clutch switch behind the clutch pedal I get a single click and everything dies so than I have to disconnected and reconnect the battery I can bump start just fine but not by key

Check to make sure the battery terminals are clean and tight. Also, check to see if the all grounds from the battery are clean and tight. You should also have the battery load tested to see if it is good.

XXKINGNICKYXX
  • 1996 NISSAN ALTIMA
  • 249 MILES

Hello, we did a tune up on a 1996 nissan altima, replaced the cap rotor plug wires and gave the car an oil change and also replaced both the oil filter and the air filter. The car started just fine before the tune up, but afterwards it would not start. Thank you

XXKINGNICKYXX

We did a full tune up, replaced cap plugs rotor plug wires air and oil filters, all were replaced directly and nothing moved on the distributor. We also checked the fuses and the fuel flow which was okay. But it wont start. Sounds like its not getting fuel but. Like I said the fuel flow was satisfactory. We also tried starting fluid, but all it does is turn and not fire. Note: the plugs and rotor are all in correct position.

Did it run before the work was done? Even though the fuel flow seems normal, have you checked fuel pressure? It may be low enough that it won't start.

Next, see if the engine will start with starting fluid. If it does, then you know it is fuel related. If it doesn't start, then you need to check to see if there is spark to the plugs.

NOTE: If it ran before the work was done, something was done wrong or by accident something was disconnected.

MACKENZIEMOCOMBE
  • 1996 NISSAN ALTIMA

1996 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 121000 miles

My 96 nissan altima will start but once I take it out of park it dies. Along with that, the coolant/water leaks out less than a minute after putting it in the radiator and the coolant in the reservoir remains at the same level. Is there a possility that the engine head is cracked and if so what is the price tag to solve this problem.