Engine will not start?

BIGDAVE03
  • 2000 PONTIAC GRAND AM
Okay. I bought this car off of Facebook and it will crank but it acts like it is not getting spark. I have replaced the ICM, the coil pack, the spark plugs, and the computer. And it will turn turn turn and it acts like it hits once then stops. Also the obd2 reader can't connect to the brand new computer and it doesn't ding when the key is in, the radio does not work and the interior lights wont work. I have looked at the wires but haven't found anything. Please help.
Sunday, October 27th, 2019 AT 3:07 PM

KEN

Will it run on starting fluid? When you turn the key to the on position without cranking the engine over can you hear the fuel pump run in the tank for 5 seconds? Do you have a security light flashing?

Here are two guides to help us get started, please confirm the no spark:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-reset-a-security-system

Please run down these guides and report back.
Monday, October 28th, 2019 AT 6:30 PM
BIGDAVE03
It wont run on starting fluid. There is zero spark but the coil packs are brand new.
Wednesday, October 30th, 2019 AT 10:10 AM
KEN
Nine time out of ten it will be the crankshaft angle sensor causing the problem. here is how you change it out. Check all fuses as well:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/crankshaft-angle-sensor-replacement

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what happens.
Thursday, October 31st, 2019 AT 10:17 AM
CHELSEA COOPER
  • 2000 PONTIAC GRAND AM
Felt like the fuel line has been plugged for about a week sluggish when you hit a hill, low power sometimes surging during acceleration. Then the exhaust weld broke loose at the manifold causing it to be real loud. The next morning I was coming up on a stop sign and the car quit running. Now the car will not start just cranks over and over, also, it blew the ing mod fuse. The check engine light as well as the service engine soon light has been on for about a week as well.
Thursday, July 30th, 2020 AT 2:16 PM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS
Check fuel pressure and for a blocked filter, sometimes a blown exhaust can cook engine wiring, make sure nothing looks burnt. If all okay check ignition for good spark as well.
FREEGB1
  • 2000 PONTIAC GRAND AM
My 2000 Grand AM will not start, and my troubleshooting has taken me to the two wire connector on the left side(looking from front) of the ignition module. I dont have spark to plugs, and when checking the pink wire on that connector against ground, I have continuity, as does the black wire.
Tracing this short seems like its going to be difficult, and I was wondering if there were common areas to this vehicle, that may be trouble spots and what I can do to get car running again, thanks
The pink wire is voltage, goes hot with the key on. Use voltage tester, is it hot. Black wire is ground. I don't know what testing you have done?
+1
FREEGB1
I have 3 ohms of resistance between wire 239(pink) and ground. When checking for voltage on that wire I get about 2 volts, when I was expecting battery voltage. My question was basically how to deal with the problem. Should I crack open the harness, and find the short, or just run a new wire? Is there a full schematic available to see what else is attached to that pink wire?
Do you think you may have run the battery down with testing?

That voltage comes from the ignition module fuse. Check voltage there. If voltage is still low, and battery has a full charge, have to track the feed to the fuse. May have to check feed to and from ignition switch?

If you have tracked the problem to the wiring circuit from the fuse to ignition module, then yes, replace the wire.
NHANCE
  • 2000 PONTIAC GRAND AM
I have a 2000 Grand Am, the car has a problem of occasionally not starting. I can start the car drive for days then it won, t start. Let it sit for a couple of hours and it starts with no hesitation. The engine turns over fine and acts like it wants to start but won't, let it sit and it starts and runs for days or weeks then it happpens again This has been going on for over a year. No codes on the computer to check for problem.
BMRFIXIT
Check BCM for codes
do you have security light coming on
NHANCE
I have a code reader and no codes show up. I have check the codes everytime.

Check BCM for codes
do you have security light coming on[/quote:78af6414c8]
BMRFIXIT

Check BCM for codes
do you have security light coming on[/quote:f468ddeae9][/quote:f468ddeae9]

what you need a scanner to be able to read the BCM codes'
you only getting the ECM codes
do you have a security light on
NHANCE

Check BCM for codes
do you have security light coming on[/quote:5a9a251e66][/quote:5a9a251e66]

you only getting the ECM codes
do you have a security light on[/quote:5a9a251e66]

No security light in on.
BRLDGET02
  • 2000 PONTIAC GRAND AM
I am having problems with my car not starting. I thought I was the battery had it checked at Craigen, it was fine. So now I have five different ppl telling me five different things. It could be the starter, the alternator, the fuel pump, or just the cables to my battery. I am a student and working but don't have the money to go through all these different steps. So can anyone give me any ideas to what it may be or has anyone had this problem before. THANKS! :/
BLACKOP555
Does the car crank when the key is turned to the start position or does it click, or do nothing at all.

Post back.
BRLDGET02
Yes it tries to crank over then right before it wants to start it just does this humming noise like flat line or something lol Hard to explain but it does try to start there is no clicking the car actually shakes like its trying to start and right before it starts it goes out :/. Hmmm?
And thanks for your quick response, I really appreciate it!
BLACKOP555
Then the starter is good, will it fire up with starting fluid sprayed directly in the throttle body?
BRLDGET02
I will give it a try and get back to you. Thanks again!
CASE28
Your problem is the same as mine it also gives this hum noise. I would also love to know what the problem was.

Sponsored links