Starter solenoid located

WALKERROB
  • 2000 FORD EXPLORER
Where is the starter solenoid on the SUV listed above with a 4.0 L sohc engine?
Friday, February 21st, 2014 AT 12:53 PM

KEN

There are two starter solenoids for your car; one is down by the starter motor and the other is up by the battery on the drivers side. Here is a guide that shows the lower solenoid:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-starter-motor

Check out the diagrams (below) for both locations.

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
Tuesday, December 19th, 2017 AT 4:28 PM
STUTZ134
  • 2000 FORD EXPLORER
Have power but just get a click when I turn the key over. Brand new battery. Figured either solenoid or starter.
+4
Tuesday, December 19th, 2017 AT 4:29 PM (Merged)
REDAVISON2
  • 2000 FORD EXPLORER
Two wheel drive automatic 119,000 miles.

Where is the starter solenoid located on the vehicle listed above Sport model? Is it difficult to replace? Thanks.
+3
JACK42
It is mounted on the starter. Check for power to the small wire with key in crank position, if it has power and no start, the starter/solenoid needs to be replaced.
+2
BLUELIGHTNIN6

The starter solenoid and relay are integral with the starter. For replacement procedures for your starter, read below:

REMOVAL:
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Properly raise and support the vehicle.
Tag and disconnect the wiring at the starter.

WARNING: When detaching the hard-shell connector at the S-terminal, grasp the plastic shell to pull it off. Do not pull on the wire itself. Ensure to pull the connector straight off to prevent damage to the connector and S-terminal. If any part of the connector is damaged, replace the damaged component.

Remove the starter mounting bolts and remove the starter

INSTALLATION:
Position the starter motor against the engine and install the mounting bolts. Tighten the mounting bolts to 15-19 ft. Lbs. (21-27 Nm).
Install the starter solenoid connector by pushing it straight on. Ensure that the connector locks in position with a notable click.
Install the starter cable nut to the starter solenoid B-terminal. Tighten the nut to 80-123 inch lbs. (9-14 Nm).
Connect any remaining wiring to the starter motor.
Lower the vehicle.
Connect the negative battery cable.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!
+2
LAW1963
  • 2000 FORD EXPLORER
  • AWD
Where is the starter solenoid located on the SUV listed above with a 302 engine?
+1
Location:
-1
CRAZYBEACH38452
  • 1998 FORD EXPLORER
V8 All wheel drive automatic.

Where is the starter solenoid located? Was told between battery and fuse box but nothing there and was also told attached to firewall by battery.
-2
DANAUTHIER
The starter solenoid is attached to the starter itself, rarely serviced separately anymore. What it is the problem you are having?
Let me know and I will do my best to help you.
Dan
-2
DANAUTHIER
There is a starter relay for your vehicle, I have not been able to find the location for you, but that maybe your issue. There is also a recall (article # 01-6-2) dealing with the factory anti theft system that will cause a no crank condition like you describe (if your vehicle is so equipped).
If your vehicle is an automatic the range selector switch also acts as the neutral safety switch that keeps the engine to only starting in the park and neutral positions, try shifting to neutral and trying to start it and then if that does not work try shifting back to park and keep slight pressure on the park lever to be sure it is in park and try again.
If your vehicle has a standard transmission, there is a clutch safety switch activated by the clutch pedal and it may be failing.
I am sorry I miss understood you earlier. There is a relay that is also called a solenoid, it has two large posts and two smaller posts for wires, it is located near your battery on the inner fender on your vehicle. It is activated by the ignition switch and sends power to the starter. This part is replaceable separate from starter.
There is also a part on the starter (the smaller of the two round components of a starter) It controls the power to the starter (in simple terms) This is the solenoid I thought your were talking about and is not normally serviced separately.
If possible check with your local for dealer on that recall.
Hope this helps,
Dan
+1
CRAZYBEACH38452
I tried to start in neutral did not work. Now as far as the one by the batter and fender there is not one. Someone told me that they might have bypassed that one and the only one I may have is the one attached to the started itself.
+1
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 1998 FORD EXPLORER
  • 235 MILES
Is there a starter solenoid and where is it located?
ASEMASTER6371
On top of the starter.

DANNY L
Hello, I am Danny.

This is what the solenoid is like mounted on the starter motor. I have attached a picture and circled the solenoid in red. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
Danny-
Friday, July 20th, 2018 AT 7:01 PM