2003 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT RADIATOR FAN NOT WORKING

• kzcpd
  • 2003 Volkswagen Passat

2003 Volkswagen Passat 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

Hi carpros, Last week when the outside temp turned 90 degrees I noticed that I wasn't getting cold A/C from my 2003 volkswagen passat V6. I looked at the engine and noticed that the radiator cooling fan wasn't working but the A/C does work when the car is going over 30 mph. I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the A/C pressure switch but that didn't fix the problem. I was thinking that it could be the fan itself but the fan does sometimes work when the outside temp is cool. I was then thinking it could be a relay but I dont know which relay it is. The relays have different numbers on them. Could you help me out with this problem? Could it be the fan control module?

Monday, May 31st, 2010 AT 6:37 AM

• racefan966

Ok a couple of questions I need you to answer. First is there two fans? Does the car overheat? Does the fan come on when the engine gets to temp? Do you have a digital multi meter if needed to do some testing? Get back to me and we will see what we can find.

Tuesday, June 1st, 2010 AT 8:49 AM
  • kzcpd

HI, my volkswagen only has one electric cooling fan and the engine fan. The cooling fan will work on rare occasions but mostly it will not work. Even when the engine is at temp. Once I noticed on a hot day that the engine did overheat. Yes, I do have a digital multimeter.

Tuesday, June 1st, 2010 AT 4:45 PM
  • racefan966

Ok lets run a quick test to see if the fan relay is working ok. Now what I need you to do is with the car running and the A/C on check for power at the fan relay check the brown wire with the black stripe. If this is good then check for power at the a/c pressure switch on the condensor below the right side headlight (passanger side). Let me know what you find here and we will go from there.

Thursday, June 3rd, 2010 AT 11:02 AM
  • kzcpd

Where's the relay for the cooling fan? Is there a number on the relay? Is it in the under the dash by the fuses?

Thursday, June 3rd, 2010 AT 1:48 PM
  • racefan966

It is in the aux relay box number 13, probably in the relay box that is under the hood.

Saturday, June 5th, 2010 AT 9:34 AM