RADIATOR FAN NOT WORKING

2003 Volkswagen Passat

kzcpd

May, 31, 2010 AT 6:37 AM

2003 Volkswagen Passat 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

Hi carpros, Last week when the outside temp turned 90 degrees I noticed that I wasn't getting cold A/C from my 2003 volkswagen passat V6. I looked at the engine and noticed that the radiator cooling fan wasn't working but the A/C does work when the car is going over 30 mph. I took the car to the dealer and they replaced the A/C pressure switch but that didn't fix the problem. I was thinking that it could be the fan itself but the fan does sometimes work when the outside temp is cool. I was then thinking it could be a relay but I dont know which relay it is. The relays have different numbers on them. Could you help me out with this problem? Could it be the fan control module?

racefan966

June, 1, 2010 AT 8:49 AM

Ok a couple of questions I need you to answer. First is there two fans? Does the car overheat? Does the fan come on when the engine gets to temp? Do you have a digital multi meter if needed to do some testing? Get back to me and we will see what we can find.

kzcpd

June, 1, 2010 AT 4:45 PM

HI, my volkswagen only has one electric cooling fan and the engine fan. The cooling fan will work on rare occasions but mostly it will not work. Even when the engine is at temp. Once I noticed on a hot day that the engine did overheat. Yes, I do have a digital multimeter.

racefan966

June, 3, 2010 AT 11:02 AM

Ok lets run a quick test to see if the fan relay is working ok. Now what I need you to do is with the car running and the A/C on check for power at the fan relay check the brown wire with the black stripe. If this is good then check for power at the a/c pressure switch on the condensor below the right side headlight (passanger side). Let me know what you find here and we will go from there.

kzcpd

June, 3, 2010 AT 1:48 PM

Where's the relay for the cooling fan? Is there a number on the relay? Is it in the under the dash by the fuses?

racefan966

June, 5, 2010 AT 9:34 AM

It is in the aux relay box number 13, probably in the relay box that is under the hood.

Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Coolant Drain and Refill Chevrolet Tahoe
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Heater Hose Replacement Chevrolet Camaro
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser