MY JETTA IS A MANUAL AND A FEW WEEKS AGO THE ...

1999 Volkswagen Jetta

Anonymous

March, 7, 2013 AT 10:49 PM

My jetta is a manual and a few weeks ago the shifter broke. We replaced that but when we put it in, realized that it won't shift while it is started. When it is off, it hits every gear. After talking to the people at VW, they told us about a tool that you use to adjust it. Well we have tried that and still it will not shift while the car is running but hits every gear while the car is off! Can someone please help me!

Trans Not Shifting

Not Shifting

1 IMAGE

exovcds

March, 7, 2013 AT 11:37 PM

How does the clutch pedal feel? If the pedal is soft, then the hydraulics need to be checked. Clutch is not releasing enough when engine
is ON. Not allowing the gears to be selected.

Could also be a contaminated clutch disc that is sticking to the pressure plate / flywheel or a cracked pressure plate that is not letting the
clutch disc slip freely when the engine is running.

Thomas

exovcds

March, 7, 2013 AT 11:40 PM

1999 old style or new style body Jetta?

If old style, the 4 cylinder engines have a clutch cable and the 6cyl has a hydraulic clutch.

If cable clutch, could be a cracked throw-out lever.

Here's a GIF Animation I made a few years ago:

http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/40-29916-291753-4662/Clutch_Lever.gif

Thomas