VALVE IN BLOCK BLEW-LEAKING COOLANT

• anewending
  • 1993 Honda Civic

So my boyfriend rebuilt his 93\\\' civic hatchback, but when he put the engine back it wouldnt hold any coolant, and it was leaking by the water pump, so we replaced the water pump-still leaking. He says that there is a valve that is right on the inside of the water pump on the block that blew, he tried sealing it but nothing will work (used jb weld)-and hes freaking out pretty bad-worried that the car will blow if he trys to take it to a mechanic

Friday, May 17th, 2013 AT 9:52 AM

• hmac300

Ou can always tow it there or take it there when ther eis less traffic, fill it an drive it.

Friday, May 17th, 2013 AT 10:20 AM
  • anewending

Im trying to find out the name of the part. It is no where in my haynes manual, it's a metal pipe coming from the thermostat housing to the water pump, the heating system in the car has been deleted also. Not sure if that helps, thanks

Friday, May 17th, 2013 AT 2:38 PM
  • hmac300

It may be called a by pass pipe we dont' have a good view of that so can't tell you check with an autoparts store

Friday, May 17th, 2013 AT 3:13 PM
  • hmac300

I'm sending a pic of a thermostat housing for that car if it is where pointer is pointing to he can go to a hardware store and buy a pipe plug and plug that instead of the pipe that is supposed to go in it.

Friday, May 17th, 2013 AT 3:17 PM
  • anewending

It is the metal pipe that, from what I have read, comes from the oil cooler I think? Then goes into the block where the water pump bolts on but when you put a light in the missing water pump you can see it in the thermostat housing. I have an idea of perhaps removing the stock pipe, finding two fittings with threads on one end the other for a hose, then tap them out in the block and figure how to connect to the oil cooler the large black metal pipe in the picture

Saturday, May 18th, 2013 AT 12:01 AM