Unable to adjust air temperature on drivers side

RICHARD FULTON
  • 2005 CHEVROLET TAHOE
I have dual zone automatic hvac. When driver side is supposed to blow warm air it blows cool. I have replaced the actuator behind console 4" above transmission hump just to the left of where passengers left foot would be twice and recalibrated several times several ways but still no control for driver side temperature. While recalibrating you can see the actuator turn, but afterwards when I try to change the temperature it does not move. I can open and close damper by hand when actuator is down and air temperature changes on driver side. Dealership charged me $134.00 to tell me the left temperature actuator is not working, and said they would replace it for $661.00. At my wits end as to how to resolve this problem. Please help!
Sunday, December 11th, 2016 AT 10:31 AM

JIS001
The driver side air temperature control is located behind the dashboard and that is why they are charging so much because of the labor involved to pull back the dash.
+1
Sunday, December 11th, 2016 AT 3:24 PM
RICHARD FULTON
Would this also cause the rear air to be cold too regardless of temperature setting?
Sunday, December 11th, 2016 AT 5:32 PM
JIS001
No that would be a separate issue. Make sure both controls are switched off. The one you control up front and the rear one.

The front control will overide the rear controls.
+1
Sunday, December 11th, 2016 AT 7:04 PM
RICHARD FULTON
Will it do damage to an actuator to connect the electric and power it up before it is mounted?
Sunday, December 11th, 2016 AT 7:55 PM
JIS001
If you mean installing the electric connector then no. If you apply power manually yes you can damage it.
Sunday, December 11th, 2016 AT 10:41 PM
RICHARD FULTON
If an actuator dies on you and you get a new one but it is not in the same position, how do you get it there? I tried to install the blend door actuator and it did not line up correctly so I turned the power on to get it into the correct spot to line up. Is that called clocking it and can that do damage?
Monday, December 12th, 2016 AT 1:01 AM
KEN
Hey RICHARD,

Just move the door pivot manually and install the actuator. Here is a guide that can help.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-blend-door-motor

Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Best, Ken
Monday, December 12th, 2016 AT 3:56 PM
RICHARD FULTON
I replaced the blend door and temp door actuators, and after at least 12 tries the recalibration worked, however if I have both sides on heat and I touch any control on the driver side the driver side temp will cool a bit and then, after a few seconds it will warm back up to the correct temp. And now the rear air will not calibrate, I was trying this because the rear air will only blow cold air no matter what temperature it is set at.
Monday, December 12th, 2016 AT 5:08 PM
KEN
Hey Richard,

It sounds like you have one of two problems, either you have a rear temperature sensor that is bad or the controller is shorting out.
Monday, December 12th, 2016 AT 9:15 PM
RICHARD FULTON
I got rear calibrated by pulling ecc fuse for 10 seconds then replaced started car, let run 1 minute shut off for about 20 seconds and then restarted and it works! Thank you
Tuesday, December 13th, 2016 AT 3:25 AM
KEN
Glad you could get it fixed please use 2CarPros. Com anytime we are here to help

Best, Ken
Tuesday, December 13th, 2016 AT 10:37 AM