Truck will not start

WANDELUST88
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

My truck takes spells that it will not start, usually in the mornings, but once we get it started it will run for a time, then the same thing happens. This has been going on for a year or so. But the last time this happened, about two months ago, nothing would bring it around. The spark plugs are black with gasoline, it is in the shop now and virtually everything has been changed on it except a fuel pump and PCM. The truck will try to start, sometimes if I held down on the gas pedal, it would come around. But no longer. Everybody, I think, in this valley is pondering over this problem. I am eighty years old, need my truck for my two jobs.

This is the Reply Box. I hope this is the correct one. More information on the symptoms: When I took it to a major car dealer, they said it was the fuel pump, but would also have to replace the gas lines, and that my bumper-to-bumper insurance would not cover the lines because they were rusted. What the garage man said was, "The lines, nine times out of ten, will break when we change the fuel pump." At which point I declined because there was no way I could pay that kind of money about $1,000.00 just for the lines that the insurance company would not cover. He felt sorry for me, I guess, and said, "Well, just get up under the truck and peck on something (I forgot what he said). My brother had said keep dry gas in it and I did for awhile, but eventually forgot to do this with regularity. So the truck stopped again, but did not revive when I put two more things of dry gas in it. This is where we are today, towed in to the shop, where they are trying everything, as I said.

Thank you very much!

Saturday, June 3rd, 2017 AT 5:31 AM

2CARPROS KEN

This sounds like a classic fuel pump problem which is very common in that truck. You can get a AC delco replacement from Amazon for $276.00

https://www.amazon.com/Delphi-FG0383-Fuel-Pump-Module/dp/B000HLQCBS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1496687558&sr=8-7&keywords=2006+CHEVROLET+SILVERADO+fuel+pump

Here is a guide on what you are in for when changing the pump out.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-electric-fuel-pump

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Please let us know what happens, we are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken

Monday, June 5th, 2017 AT 11:34 AM
WANDELUST88

Ran into a gentleman Sunday who had had the exact thing happen to his Silverado. He took it to a person who specializes in Chevy repairs. Man changed some components in the fuse panel, truck ran, then quit, took truck back to repair person, this time changed whole fuse panel (under hood), working ever since.

Monday, June 5th, 2017 AT 6:26 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Glad you could get it fixed, that kind of problem can be tough. Please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help

Cheers, Ken

-1
Tuesday, June 6th, 2017 AT 11:28 AM
JAVUCHIN
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

The truck stalled while driving. It just shut off and I could not get it to start. I had to tow it home. I ran the battery down trying to start it.

Tuesday, June 6th, 2017 AT 11:28 AM (Merged)

Check fuel pressure with a gauge that may be the cause of it quitting while driving auto parts rent it. recharge the battery as well. it may need to reset the anti theft in it see link for both.
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-reset-a-security-system
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

REAGAN3NC
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

2006 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 64000 miles

My husband was driving home from LA to NC when he heard what sounded like a belt squealing, then his truck would not go. It will start but will not move. Does this mean the transmission has burned up. He only has 64000 miles on the truck and has not had any transmission problems. He checked the truck once it broke down and said there were no broken belts that he could see and nothing leaking. He did say that the torque converter seemed to be vibrating when the truck was started. Does anyone have any ideas?

Tuesday, June 6th, 2017 AT 11:29 AM (Merged)

Is the engine running fine? Has a check engine light come on?

REAGAN3NC

Yes the engine runs fine and there are no lights. He removed the transmission and the main axle in the transmission has broke in two. Thanks for your help.

I'm glad you got it figured out. Let us know if you have questions in the future.

BURNS84
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Was driving, gave it some gas and nothing happened, truck still had power but wouldn't accelerate. Parked truck now it won't start, acts like it wants to turn over but won't. Have been drivin in snow for about 2 weeks and not out of gas but have less than a quarter tank if any of that makes a difference. Any advice?

ASEMASTER6371

Fly by wire issue. You need a shop to pull the code as it could be throttle body, pedal sensor. Dont guess as either one is expensive.

TRISHWILLSONN
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

My chevy broke down and into finding out I assumed it was the fuel pump because I heard nothing and when I sprayed either into the carb it started for a minute now ive replaced the pump and in doing this I took the bed of the truck off instead of lowering the tank due to the amount of gas in it now the truck still will not start I cannot get the codes off the truck due to the plug can you help

Check fuses underhood first, then check for a bad connection at aldl. Then try resetting your anti theft system. Then check yoru fuel pressure and see if you can scan for codes.

ROYMILLER
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

I have a 2006 chevy silverado it has the 4.3 vortec motor. Driving home the Truck stop running. I got the truck home and it start right up. Went out this morning and it will not start. I don't know what to look for.

Refer to this walk thru link: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

• 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Why do I keep having to replace my electonic control module. My truck is a v-6 standard shift. Every time it fails is usually right after my foot slips off the clutch and it stalls, Then it will not start. I just replaced # 4.

ASEMASTER6371

All modules fail for a reason. The trick is to find out why it has failed which means checking all sensors and solenoids that can short out the unit. Without finding the reason, they will keep failing

REDNECK54
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

What does it mean when your anifreeze leaked out of your tailpipe and the vehicle won't start?

MAYBE A BLOWN HEAD GASKET OR A CRACKED HEAD

SEE IF YOU YOU HAVE COOLANT IN YOUR OIL

DO A COMPRESSION TEST

Related Engine Not Starting Content

Engine Will Not Start
VIDEO

Recommended guides