1995 Toyota Tercel Engine will not Start

DRE1965170DC
  • 1995 TOYOTA TERCEL
Been too 2 different mechanics so far with no luck. Engine will turn over but will not start. First mechanic said it was the ingition Igniter, replaced it with no luck, 2nd mechanic said it was the ECU, replaced it with 2 different ECU's (used) with no luck. Sometimes the car will start after sitting a couple of days, when it does want to start it runs real rough (cant even drive it) and after idleing for about 5 minutes it smooths out and runs good. Checked it for spark, no spark. When the key is turned on I dont hear the fuel pump. I disconnected the fuel line from the filter and I get fuel only while cranking the car over. Vehicle was at the dealership for almost 2 weeks and they dont have a clue. Please. Can you help me?
Tuesday, August 5th, 2008 AT 7:49 PM

BLACKOP555
You have to check all of this stuff when the vehicle is not running.

And will not start.

Check for spark, all cylinders with spark plug tester, if spark is present spray a bit of starting fluid in throttle body then start it, run now? If not try more starting fluid.

If not let the fluid come out of there then put a gas soaked rag in the air intake and try to start it, fire up now? If not thers something wrong with the compression or spark timing, maybe due to bad timing, hows a compression check go?
Tuesday, August 5th, 2008 AT 9:51 PM
DRE1965170DC
Like I posted in my question. There is no spark. Changed out the Igniter, coil packs and ECU. Still no spark.
Friday, August 8th, 2008 AT 9:01 PM
BLACKOP555
Do you call the ignition control module the igniter? Some people use igniter to explain coil, icm and spark plugs, I need to know which one you replaced.

Is it a distributed vehicle or is it distributorless.
Saturday, August 9th, 2008 AT 10:08 AM
DRE1965170DC
Its called the igniter, not a coil from what I'm told you either have one or the other, my car has the igniter, its mounted on the firewall. Its also distributorless. Thanks for your reply.
-1
Wednesday, August 13th, 2008 AT 10:13 PM
BLACKOP555
Check for 12v going into the coil and igniter first to see if its getting the +12v refrence from the key. After that the next step would be to check for -12v pulse on the negative side, you can hook a test light up to the connector and crank it.

If no refrence is foudn from that disconnect the crank and cam shaft sensor then retest.
Thursday, August 14th, 2008 AT 8:38 AM