1988 Toyota Supra engine cranks but wont start

JACKLE
  • 1988 TOYOTA SUPRA
Last night it was a bit cold, I went to my work at 4 and was supposed to leave at 1:00 am. I went up to the car and tried to start it but it just cranks but wont start. I tried to jump start the car with friends car battery cable but it didnt help. Wat is the problem so I can take it to fix it.
Wednesday, November 19th, 2008 AT 11:46 AM

PEAR69
I am assuming that the reason you jumped the car is because you killed the battery from cranking the engine too long. If the engine cranked just a little before you had to jump it then test the battery and clean up the battery connections - if it's ok then test the alternator.

In order to find the problem you must determine if it first- is getting fuel, and second- getting spark.
I assume that this the first time this has happened, so this problem is a sudden failure -- right? Fuel pumps and ignition modules fail like this -- but it must be tested and confirmed first.
Make sure the car is securely in park -- the neutral safety switch will act like this also.
Wednesday, November 19th, 2008 AT 12:08 PM
JACKLE
I called some little knowledge guys to look at it and mostly I heard from them was the fuel pump is gone. I am taking it to the toyota dealer tomorrow, they told me that they have to look at it first and then only they will tell me that if they can fix it or not. Would it be good to take it to the dealer or call a mechanic. I have to go to another city coming month so I dont want my car to act like that.
Wednesday, November 19th, 2008 AT 8:12 PM
PEAR69
A dealer is the best place to have a car repaired as long as the dealer has certified mechanics - and most do. However, a dealer is not cheap, but paying a little more may be worth it in the long run. A dealer has access to a massive data base related to your specific car - as it relates to problems - upgrades - and common failures. 188000 miles is well beyond the life expectancy of a fuel pump for your car so it very well may be the problem, but testing it is the key to solving your problem - a dealer has that capability BEFORE they replace a part - a mechanic usually does not. A dealer also uses factory parts, not aftermarket, which sometimes is important.
A fuel pump failure is not a hard thing for any mechanic to diagnosis. It will be cheaper to take your car to a mechanic, but if it is not a fuel pump then it is unlikely a mechanic will be able to diagnosis the problem as fast as a dealer.

BTW dealer mechanics are mechanics too. They are just more specialized in one make of car - in your case it is a Toyota.
Keep me posted and good luck
Thursday, November 20th, 2008 AT 1:06 AM
JACKLE
I took it to the toyota dealer, after 1 day I called them and they told me that the ignition coil is bad. Wat do u think of that, it may be true or not. They asked for upto 600 dollars to fix it, I am searching in the internet to get some cheap one. How do I fix it if I get a cheap one in the internet.
Saturday, November 22nd, 2008 AT 12:51 AM
PEAR69
A bad ignition coil will cause your problem. The part itself is $70 at autozone. A factory toyota part is probably double that.
Changing a coil is usually not a big deal and is usually not hard- Depending on its' location. Follow the spark plug wires back to the distributer cap - there will be a coil wire connected in the middle of the distributer cap -- this wire will go to the coil. Observe the coil and look at things like -- what tool you need -- what you may need to remove to access the coil etc. Be sure to disconnect the positive battery cable when doing this job. I do suggest investing in a repair manual like haynes, for your car. They are cheap and you will be suprised on how many repairs you can do yourself referencing these repair manuals.
Saturday, November 22nd, 2008 AT 11:13 AM