NO CRANKING

1987 Toyota Supra

supraman10

July, 27, 2010 AT 5:37 PM

1987 Toyota Supra 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 110000 miles

I have a 87 Supra with a swapped 1JZGTE 2.5L
twin turbo, five speed. The car has a brand new battery. It first cranked rather weakly, but started and ran fine. After 1 hour highway speed, turned it off at rest stop and it barely cranked and only just started. After 3hrs additional driving, turned off and
wouldn't crank. Battery cable was hot! Fiddled with cable and car cranked normally and started. Now car won't even crank, but makes a low humming with ignition in on position. Took out battery and started my J30 with it, no problem. Can't get the Supra to even crank. Help! Thank you!

July, 27, 2010 AT 6:01 PM

No crank at all/nothing/nada when key is engage to starting position

Could be a blown fusible link, the starter, starter relay, clutch switch/park and neutral switch/transmission position switch and ignition switch assuming the battery and connections are good. Note: If it doesn't apply disregard.

supraman10

July, 28, 2010 AT 7:54 AM

Rasmataz,
Thanks for your suggestions. Any thoughts about the faint humming noise which stays on for as long as I hold the key in the start position? Thank you!

July, 28, 2010 AT 8:27 AM

If the sound is more like buzzing noise it indicates that the starter overrunning clutch is slipping.

islander626

October, 1, 2010 AT 7:02 PM

I have the same problem. No cranking but not certain about humming sound. I have to jump start the battery for it crank the engine started. Now carry a portable battery jumping system. Well continue to find out, I pretty much have replaced the starter and alternator. Battery and ignition switch are still good

Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011