ENGINE DIES WHEN KEYS IS RELEASE.

• Petermk3
  • 1989 TOYOTA SUPRA

My eletric fan die, so I did a by pass to my main relay and it kill my engine (i did this by [ass a few time and it didnt die). Though that it was an ignition switch, went to the junk yard and pulled one out and put it into my car but still didnt work. Any answer?

Friday, June 29th, 2012 AT 10:04 AM

• Mikederouin88

Does the key stay forward or bounce back? Is it the same as before u changed it? And by ignition switch do you mean where the key goes or the electrical switch?

Friday, June 29th, 2012 AT 10:26 AM
  • KHLow2008

When ignition switch is in run position, are the dash indicators lights showing on dash?

Friday, June 29th, 2012 AT 3:00 PM
  • Petermk3

Ok mike, when I turn over the key, the engine starts but once I let go of the key it dies. I have a cousin(use to work with the deal for 20 yrs now) that came and look at and try it too. He say that there no power to the switch so that the key switch will stay on.

Saturday, June 30th, 2012 AT 8:01 AM
  • Petermk3

The key does not bounce back or go forward. Yes it where the key goes but the electrical switch is behind where the keys goes. Yup it still the same with the pulled one and the original one.

Saturday, June 30th, 2012 AT 8:07 AM
  • Petermk3

Ok khlow, when the I turn over the key( I have to hold the key for the engine to turn on), none it the light indicator is on. When the ignition is on, all the indicator is on tho.

Saturday, June 30th, 2012 AT 8:18 AM
  • KHLow2008

Is vehicle with or without turbo? Does applying slight pressure on the accelerator keep the engine running?

Saturday, June 30th, 2012 AT 4:06 PM
  • Petermk3

Ok khw, it a jdm 2jz twin turbo. It not the orginally engine. The old 7m blew out on me when I took it to my buddy house to fix it. Yes I have to put slight pressure on the key to make the engine running (not sure if im in the dame page as you). If the engine on, and I step the peddle for the gas, it just rev, and once key is let it go then it dies.

Saturday, June 30th, 2012 AT 8:53 PM
  • KHLow2008

Keep your foot on the pedal and release the key, dioes it stall? I need to find out if it is the idle control system that is the cause.

If any repair work was carried out underhood, check the MAF and air hose installation.

Did you check for trouble codes?
Is the MIL indicating?

Sunday, July 1st, 2012 AT 8:04 AM
  • Mikederouin88

Sounds like the electrical switch behind the lock cylinder has failed. I would start there to cut expenses.

Monday, July 2nd, 2012 AT 5:01 AM
  • Petermk3

To khl, even if I step on the gas peddle and let go of the keys it still die. It a customize engine to a ma70 body. Mine does not run maf, it run a map instead. Cuz a japenese spec engine not a us spec.

Monday, July 2nd, 2012 AT 8:10 AM