GREY SMOKE COMES OUT AT THE EXHAUST PIPE

2000 Toyota Sienna

BEW

June, 11, 2009 AT 9:40 AM

2000 Toyota Sienna 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 103000 miles

I've noticed that almost every time I take a long drive for 1.5-2 hours or around 100 miles and stop the car to rest around 15-30 minutes, when I come back to start the engine there will be some grey smoke comes out around 3-5 seconds from the exhaust pipe and disappear then. By the way, my car runs smooth and it was already tuned up at 95000 miles. Water pump and timing belt had been changed already. Moreover, two of O2 censors has been changed but the one after the CAT has not been changed yet. Is there any problem with the engine? Why the grey smoke comes out? How much do I have to pay for fixing this problem?

racefan966

June, 11, 2009 AT 10:34 AM

So tell me are you using oil or antifreeze? Get back to me on that.

BEW

June, 11, 2009 AT 10:56 AM

What do you mean about oil or antifreeze? If it's engine oil, I change regular engine oil every 3000 miles at STS or Strauss. If it's antifreeze/coolant for radiator I have never changed it yet.

BEW

June, 11, 2009 AT 2:44 PM

racefan966

June, 12, 2009 AT 8:58 AM

What I mean is check the oil and see if it is low. Then check the anti freeze in the radiator and see if it is low. If you have never changed antifreeze in 103,000 it more then time. Anyway let me know what you find with those fluid levels and we will go from there.

BEW

June, 12, 2009 AT 9:54 AM

I will check fluid level and change antifreeze as you advise. Any problem after that I will get back to you. Thank you very much.

racefan966

June, 13, 2009 AT 8:37 AM

I don't mean you have to change the antifreeze now. I am saying it is do. This may not fix anything other then it is time to be changed. Now let me know if any of the fluids are low as this may help with figuring out why it smokes ok. Thanks.

BEW

June, 13, 2009 AT 8:29 PM

I already checked the oil and antifreeze level. They are all fine(not low).

racefan966

June, 15, 2009 AT 1:13 PM

Well to get gray smoke you are either burining oil or antifreeze. How often do you fill the coolant res?

BEW

June, 15, 2009 AT 10:04 PM

For the coolant, I haven't filled it since it's never low. For the oil, I fill it about half QT. Every 3 weeks or a month because I usually have to drive a long way.

racefan966

June, 16, 2009 AT 10:30 AM

Well for piece of mind you could have a shop do a chemical test on your car to make sure there is nothing wrong internally. What a chemical test is, is a fluid in a tube that is put on the radiator where the cap goes and then is run and if the chemical changes color you have exhaust gases getting into the radiator and that means coolant is getting into the engine you could also do a coolant pressure test just to make sure there is no leak there either. How is you mileage sense this smoke started?

Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Replace Fuel Pressure Regulator
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla