2006 Toyota Corolla lots of stalling and sometimes jerking

PTRAIN12
  • 2006 TOYOTA COROLLA
2006 Toyota Corolla Two Wheel Drive Automatic 119000 miles

My car keeps stalling on me. Slowing down for speed bumps, or stop signs, and just recently entering the freeway from a off ramp. And sometimes the car jerks but doesn't stall. I am from Minnesota and someone said it was the cold weather, at the time it was below zero. But on the freeway today it was 30 degrees and I had been driving for 45 min. I took it in a while back and they hooked up a computer to find out why my check engine light was on. I got no answer. The check engine light hasn't come on since. Please tell me why my car keeps stalling so I can fix it before I stall on the freeway with my family in the car. Thanks.
Thursday, February 11th, 2010 AT 11:54 AM

Inspect and test all the following listed below:

Oxygen sensor
Catalytic converter
Dirty fuel injectors (cleaning the injectors often fixes this).
Bad MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor
Bad TPS (throttle position) sensor
Bad or dirty MAF (mass airflow) sensor
Low fuel pressure (leaky fuel pressure regulator or weak fuel pump)
Vacuum leaks (intake manifold, vacuum hoses, throttle body, EGR valve)
Bad gasoline (fuel contaminated with water or too much alcohol)
Dirty or worn spark plugs
Bad plug wires
Weak ignition coil
Cap and rotor

Note:If it doesn't apply disregard.
Thursday, February 11th, 2010 AT 7:44 PM
JOSE R MARRERO
My 2006 Toyota Corolla began stalling while driving. It began with the car having a brief stalling occassinally for several weeks but recovering again. With time it completely shut-off while driving. I checked the internet and found out that there was a recall for the ECM (Engine Control Module) however it had already been replaced on my vehicle. Took the car to a Toyota dealership mechanic who stated that all the diagnostics tests he performed came normal. He noticed that one of the battery terminals was loose causing the problem. I told him that the car was supposed to continue running when you remove one of the battery cables, since the alternator keeps it running. However he said that since the problem was intermitent the car computer interprets it as a malfunction and turns off the engine. He tighten the battery terminal and on I went. Few days later the problem began again. On my way to a local mechanic I noticed that the car completely stalled when I turned on the A/C while the car was running. Made to the shop and explained what happened. He ask to start the car, put it on drive and then turn on the A/C. Right there he noticed that the car was revving to low. He proceeded to remove a part from my car that contained the choke plate and it was very dirty with soot or carbon deposit. He proceeded to clean it with gasoline and a rag and reinstalled it. Voila. The car started running smoothly again and did not stall when I turned on the A/C. He explained to me that with time this carbon deposits form in the choke and it is unable to open completely. The ECM attempts to increase the air intake but with time it gets to a point that it cannot get enough fuel mixture in the engine and it stalls. The good thing he charged me only $45 for the repair.
+1
Monday, December 5th, 2016 AT 7:51 AM