2000 Toyota Corolla Misfiring Engine

JEROMY1998
  • 2000 TOYOTA COROLLA
My 2000 corolla is missing badly. I have taken it to a mechanic, and all he said is it was running to "good" to be anything major. However, today, it started missing even worse, and barely makes it up a hill. Whenever I try accelerating up a hill, it makes a "rattling" noise; sounding like it's coming from the engine. What in the world is that? I have checked the Coil-packs, has no oil in antifreeze, and no oil on spark plugs. Please help in any way you can.
Tuesday, November 10th, 2009 AT 5:34 PM

STEVEW84
How did you check the coil packs? If its misfiring then your Check engine light is on. What is the code?
Tuesday, November 10th, 2009 AT 9:00 PM
MMPRINCE4000
The rattling noise is pre-ignition and can cause severe engine damage if not repaired.

You might want to find another mechanic.
Wednesday, November 11th, 2009 AT 6:05 AM
JEROMY1998
Thanks, but what exactly is "pre-ignition"? And how is it fixed?
Friday, November 13th, 2009 AT 9:34 PM
JEROMY1998
I checked the coil packs by first starting the car. Then, one by one, I disconnected them; all four of them seemed to be working because as I disconnected them, the car would start to die. And it was the same with all four. The code said "cylinder 1 misfire".
-1
Friday, November 13th, 2009 AT 9:37 PM
MMPRINCE4000
Pre-ignition is where the cylinder fires before the piston reaches TDC, it is usually a timing issue, crank sensor, cam sensor, timing chain, PCM.

If you have a cylinder misfire code, then you first want to check the plug on that cylinder.
Saturday, November 14th, 2009 AT 8:29 AM