Cranks but wont start

GUM_AGILE
  • 1996 TOYOTA COROLLA

Electrical problem 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 125Kkm miles

hi!

Here is the case. I have a corolla '96, AE101, 1.6L, MT, with 120K km. On it and im the 3rd owner. Its with me for about 2yrs now. Its a well maintained car in terms of all preventive maintenance is concerned since I bought it. The cars performance is great and runs very smoothly without any symptoms of any trouble.

suddenly one morning, Wednesday last week, when Im about to bring my kid to school, the car wont start. It have a strong crank but did not go through. After sending my kid to school by my motorbike, I passed through a mechanic and ask him to go with me to check the car. He made a series of test and found that no spark was coming out from the spark plugs. He suspected the distributor, so he took it out and asked me to bring it to a repair center for check up and necessary repair. As the repair center checks, it seems to be ok. Sparks are coming out though seems to be weak and parts were soaked in oil. He also found a part (condenser as he calls it) partially melted and need to be replaced. So he replaced that part plus the oil seal. The new oil seal doesn't fit too good with the shafting so he replaced the shafting too with his spare one free of charge. Cleaned everything, assemble, test and spark gets way better.

i get back home with my repaired distributor, called the mechanic and put back everything in place. We tried to start the engine, SAME RESULT. He then checked all the fuse and found nothing defective. Then he tried it himself to turn the ignition ON, then he noticed that the check engine light was off. Suspecting the computer box (ECM) and not too sure of the next step to check, he went back to his shop to get his manual and diagrams. Then gives me a ring to tell me that he got lots of stuff to check on the car and preferred to bring it to his shop. Since its already late, we decided to bring the car at morning the next day.

the morning as Im preparing the car to bring on the shop, I tried to start the engine. Suddenly the check engine light was on and it starts on one shot! Check engine lights turned off when the engine starts running. So I called the mechanic telling that it goes, he recommends to 1st observe the car performance and note everything. The following days were good. Running smoothly and everything seems to be okay.

then a week after, at Wednesday morning (Wednesday again!), Very same thing happened.. With my day was filled up with work that day, wasn't able to inform the mechanic. Instead I asked my dad to attempt to start the engine every now and then throughout the day. The day passed and it didn't start and check engine light didn't turned on.

then yesterday morning (Thursday! ), 1st I did off the bed is to try to start the engine! And yes it starts in one shot with the check engine lights off as it runs. I let the engine warms up 4 about 10 to 15 mins. Then went back to the car, turned off the engine and tried again. And as I turn the key, the check engine lights didn't comes on and fail to starts again.

'til today, it didn't starts with the check engine lights off when the key was turned on. Confused and as I said, financially limited at the moment, 1st to go was to ask u guys on any series of test that I should do or if u can tell me straight what the part I need to replace, to avoid unnecessary expense, will be a great help. I already did some reading of the related threads but no one had mentioned that their engine lights was off. I also have read one thread that the CKP sensor (crankshaft position sensor) happened to solve his problem. Unfortunately I cant locate the sensor to check the resistance. If someone can help me locate it, please do. If a photo or mechanical diagram can be provided, that will be a great help.

i want the ECM to be the last option as I know that it will be very costly to replace.

hope u guys can help me as soon as possible. Need my car back and running on Tuesday next week for a business trip 360kms from my place.

any information that u will need, Im willing to provide as much as I can. Though Im not too good with car's engine, at least I know a bit above than average, I always can seek help/assistance from a friend.

Friday, June 19th, 2009 AT 9:47 PM

MERLIN2021

Here is a guide to help you get the problem fixed

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Many electrical components are tucked away in out-of-the-way places on late model vehicles. If you live in the snow country, as I do, you may already be aware that moisture and road salt can find their way into these semi -hidden locations. No-fuel and no-spark conditions on 1986 and later Japanese (Toyota/Nissan) vehicles may be caused by corroded wiring or connectors leading to the main power relays located near the inner fenders of these vehicles. We have found that many times one or more of the relay terminals will corrode off due to salt intrusion that has broken the circuit. Repair as necessary. Courtesy of Import Service Magazine with thanks to: Tim Cook Lake Region Towing Bridgton, Maine
Other possibilities include, faulty ignition switch, ECM power or ground problem.

+1
Saturday, June 20th, 2009 AT 4:50 AM
GUM_AGILE

I lived in the Philippines. Tropical country with just wet and dry season. Currently on the wet season.

Just to add an info, a month before the problem, major maintenance done on the vehicle was repacement of timing belt and water pump (found with a small crack and minimal leak during timing belt replacement). But have run abut 16,000 kms since the replacement.

Latest part checked was the sensor relay found in good condition.

Ignition switch was also checked and as well found no defect.

+1
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 12:36 AM
MERLIN2021

Found this tid bit for you. Check this relay!

Posted By: Administrator 2 Flag Post For Monitor Review
Shop: Mitchell 1 Admin
Date: 9/17/2007 9:21:32 AM

If engine cranks but won't start, and MIL doesn't operate when key is first turned on, EFI main relay may be faulty.
"B+" terminal is located in small box marked "diagnosis" under hood and terminal is listed in box lid.

+5
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 7:28 AM
GUM_AGILE

EFI main relay was tested and found to be bad. I replaced it and the car runs great. Thanks for this forum you guys are the best. I will tell a freind for sure. God bless you!

+1
Monday, June 22nd, 2009 AT 2:31 AM
CHIKA_3003
  • 1996 TOYOTA COROLLA

1996 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Automatic

i have a 1996 Toyota Corolla 1.6L that won't start we replaced the battery the other day because it wouldn't crank so we thought it was dead then the next day it wouldn't start so we replaced the alternator and for a minute it was fine then later that day I went to go crank it and nothing now it will turn over but wont crank and the lights don't even work any more what is wrong?

Wednesday, April 26th, 2017 AT 10:32 AM (Merged)
TOOOMANYTOYS

The description given is alittle confusing. I need to know if you have a no crank no start. Or a crank no start. If its a crank no start I would begin with checking for spark and checking the fuel pressure.

JOHNPAGUNTALAN
  • 1996 TOYOTA COROLLA

When I about to start my car the check engine icon blinks continually and the car dont start. I checked all the connections but to no avail. What's the problem?
.

CHIKA_3003

It's a no crank no start

If that light is blinking, that means there are trouble codes stored in the computer. You need to have it scanned to see what the codes are. They will point you in the direction of the problem. Most parts stores will scan them for free, but you can't get the vehicle there. See if there is a parts store near you that will lend you a scanner. I will explain how to use it if you get one.

TOOOMANYTOYS

I would begin checking to see if you have a parasitic draw that might be draining the battery. Such as a light staying on when the vehicle is off. Once the vehicle is running does the alternator produce voltage 13 to 14 volts?

WIZLEE
  • 1996 TOYOTA COROLLA

1996 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 160000 miles

My ex-girlfriends car cranks over and will sometimes putter like it wants to run, but will not run. It has recently been cranking over longer before it would start like something has just worn out.

I checked the fuel pressure by hand both after the filter and right before it enters the fuel injector rail. Seemed to build up pressure when ignition is turned on and seemed to put out good pressure when being cranked.

Timing belt is in tact but did feel a little loose

I'm now leaning toward a spark issue, I could not get a consistent arch from the cap to the plug wire on any of the four wires. I've ohmed the plug wires and plugs look good, also new cap and rotor.

I'm think I'm gonna try something in the distributor like the module or coil.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

You need to actually check the fuel pressure with a gauge not the eyeball or thumb method won't tell you nothing.

I'm think I'm gonna try something in the distributor like the module or coil. Check the coil, distributor pick-coil, and Ignitor.

Wednesday, April 26th, 2017 AT 10:33 AM (Merged)
JAREL
  • 1996 TOYOTA COROLLA

1996 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 190123 miles

Hello
My car doesn't start. For it to start caberator spray is required.
When it do start it does't keek running.

It has been laid down for 4 months
please help me

MMPRINCE4000

If starting fluid starts it for a second or two, then problem is fuel, either pump, relay or fuse.

Check fuse first.

If fuse is OK, then have someone turn to start while you touch FP relay, you should feel a click, if not then relay, if you feel a click, then pump is bad.

ENGINE
  • 1996 TOYOTA COROLLA

Other Category problem
1996 Toyota Corolla Engine Size unknown Two Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

I bought this used Toyota Corolla a month ago and it runs fine. Then I brought it to a garage to change a light bulb in the temperature panel between the driver side and the passenger side. I have then driven it at a few different occasions that day and it ran well. The next morning(a snowy day temperature around -5) it won't start when I turned the key to start. My husband then started it by pressing down the brake paddle. He thinks it is a safety devise. But I was able to start the engine without pressing down the brake before and still able to do that from time to time now.

When I called the technician, he told me that it would be the starter or the alarm. He told me the wiring for the alarm is very messy inside and it's not from the factory.

I never use the alarm.

What would be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

+1

The check engine light is it steady On or has flashed before? Might need major tune-up parts.

Okay here we go, Have the coolant temperature sensor and the idle air control valve tested and report back the outcome. I'll be standing by.

+1
CHAKWALIAN
  • 1996 TOYOTA COROLLA

1996 Toyota Corolla Engine Size unknown Two Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

Dear Sir
i have toyota corolla 1.3 sportif 1996. The problem is some time ocasionly when its hot it won't start, but if I leave it for minimum 1/2 an hour it will start like normal, and the engine will run normally untill I switch it off. Is there some thing wrong with my distributor r some thing else,
i would be very greatfull if u help me solving this problem.
Kind regards
Ali

BLACKOP555

You may have a bad ignition module, plugs and wires, ignition coil or a bad pick up coil in the ignition module.

JAKEMORRILL
  • 1996 TOYOTA COROLLA

1996 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 190000 miles

My wife ran her corolla bone dry yesterday. I filled the tank with 2 gallons of gas but the car still won't start. It turns over just never gets ignition.

MMPRINCE4000

Running the tank dry will cause the pump to overheat. Gas cools the pump.

Have fuel pressure measured with mechanical gauge.