The Engine Cranks but it wont start

LECANCY
  • 1993 TOYOTA COROLLA
Hi,

I drive a Corolla 1.6 - 1993, 4afe engine with approx 200K kms on the meter.

It was running absolutely fine!
I drove it over the weekend - it was fine. I drove it to work for 2 days - it was fine. I drove it to work the 3rd day, when I came back after work - it wouldn't start!

The battery is good - headlights, radio, key less entry all work. I can turn it to START and the engine cranks for as long as I want and as many times. The "Check Engine" light is off - still I jumpered the E1 and TE1 to check any codes - but none retrieved. But it just wont start!

I had the same problem 2-3 months back - when it would crank properly but would not start. Then, I towed it to the garage who checked every thing to be okay; yet asked me to change the alternator, the spark plugs and then temporarily replaced the ECM also - but nothing helped. Later I put my ECM back and the car started running.

This worked for 2-3 months and now again the same problem.
Thursday, June 7th, 2007 AT 11:54 AM

It sounds like the crankshaft angle sensor which is inside the ignition distributor has gone out which will cause the problem you are describing. Here is the locations of the distributor so you can get it repalced.

These diagrams will give you an idea of what you are in for when changing the sensor. This guide can help as well.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers
-1
Thursday, June 7th, 2007 AT 6:34 PM
LECANCY
Hello Rasmataz - thanks for the response and advice. The battery shows a green indicator - so that is fine. I read something from the previous posts and tried it on my car. I removed the battery terminal for a while and then plugged it back on. This is said to reset the ECM memory. After connecting the battery back the car switched on, on the first crank. But it only lasted like a minute or so and then the engine turned off. So I replace the distributor like you suggested and BAM it worked. Thanks again 2Carpros
-2
Friday, June 8th, 2007 AT 2:33 AM
Good to hear, please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.
Friday, June 8th, 2007 AT 6:29 AM
TRAVIASOS
  • 1993 TOYOTA COROLLA
1993 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 317000 miles

i currently have compression, spark, and gas and the engine turns over fine. The spark plugs are new and I just replaced the cap and rotor. I recently had a leak in the radiator, but the car did not overheat, just ran hot but I fixed it with stop leak. Any ideas?
Wednesday, January 17th, 2018 AT 10:35 AM (Merged)
MMPRINCE4000
If you have compression, spark and fuel. Check the timing belt, make sure it has not broke.

If belt is OK, then rotate engine by hand to timing mark on crank pulley. Make sure rotor is pointing to #1 cylinder.
YANET
  • 1993 TOYOTA COROLLA
1993 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Automatic

Hi. My car won't start. It makes a sound when I turn the key to start it. I never know when it's gonna happen. It may start in the morning, but then in the evening it wont or vice versa. Sometimes it takes 20 minutes until it starts and sometimes 2 or 5 mins. What can be the problem. Im not sure if I should take it to a toyota dealer or pep boys. I dont know who to trust anymore. Also the air conditioning doesnt work. It blows hot air. Please help. Thanks, Mirna
MMPRINCE4000
I would go to Toyota before ANY chain.

You would want them to test fuel pressure with a mechanical gauge and spark with calibrated spark tester.

My advice, to everyone, is to find a local independant ASE certified garage, for the most part their labor rates are cheaper and they do good work.
Try to find one that specializes in imports or Toyota's.
LOU VESCOVI
  • 1993 TOYOTA COROLLA
Will not start.
Try the things in this link for a no start problem.

RYEWADE
  • 1993 TOYOTA COROLLA
1993 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 176662 miles

I have a 1993 Toyota Corrolla Manual tranimission and 1.6 and it won't start. I thought it was the starter, but we took a wire from the starter to the positive battery terminal and it started right up. We check the fuses and the clutch starter. They seem fine do you have any idea's why it won't start
LEGITIMATE007
Sounds like the ignition switch is faulty, if the vehicle starts when you hard wire the starter, and stays running then you have your spark and fuel. It can only be one thing, the ignition switch, is this the case?
-1
RYEWADE
Yes once I hard wire it from the starter and start it then it stays running. Thanks
LEGITIMATE007
Yeah, so it seems to me that the ignition switch is faulty
GOVATON
  • 1993 TOYOTA COROLLA
My Toyota with a 4A FE, 16valves twin-cam is neither cranking nor starting. No lights on the dashboard.I replaced the Timing belt and the high tension cables. Please help me with the procedure that I should follow to rectify this problem. The headlights are working perfectly.
Have you checked the ignition switch? Have you checked the main fuses under the hood?
+1
GOVATON
Thank you in advance, iam going to check.
Let me know what you find.
+1
KAYLEIGHLUVSTY
  • 1993 TOYOTA COROLLA
1993 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 144000 miles

I started my car this morning drove it for about 5-10 minutes turned the engine off, 5 minutes later I tried to start it again and it wouldn't start. It makes a slight clicking noise when I try to turn the key, the wind shield wipers barely work with the key on and the lights won't turn on at all. Do you think this could be a problem with the alternator? Or what else could it be?
Get the battery and alternator load tested and also could be a bad connection
MARCOPOLLO385
  • 1993 TOYOTA COROLLA
1993 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 120, 00 miles

my battery died and when I used jumper cables I put them on wrong and cables smoked. Now I tried a starter charger and soon as I touch the terminals car alarm goes off. Never used the alarm dont have an alarm shut off either. Tried starting with alarm going off. Tried unhooking battery and hooking back up ng