Car will not start

CDSHAA
  • 1990 TOYOTA COROLLA

Electrical problem 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 200000 miles

Hello, I'm working on a 1990 Toyota Corolla as a favor for a friend - it has well over 200,000 miles on it - they've had a new battery installed, new alternator and now a new starter and still won't start. The starter relay fuse tested good, all fusible links tested good. Ignition key was broken off in ignition so I installed new ignition - only thing I can think of that hasn't been changed is the battery cable from battery + to starter or the clutch switch. Any suggestions?

Engine does not crank; when you turn the key from lock to ACC everything comes on as normal; turning the key all the way to the start position everything just goes dead, no clicking noises, nothing.

Could it be the ignition starter switch?

The connections at the battery have been verified as good; have already replaced the starter relay in fuse box under hood, what is the second relay that could be causing the problem?
I will test

voltage at starter and solenoid as you suggested. (Fyi. Not sure if I told you already but the battery, alternator, ign. Switch and starter are all brand new and I have had them tested to be sure they are good). Where is the clutch safety switch located, under dash, at tranny or engine compartment? Is this the same as a neutral safety switch on an automatic?

Thanks,
CD

Tuesday, December 8th, 2009 AT 9:09 AM

MMPRINCE4000

Well I have replaced several ign. Switches on the older Toyota's.

Check the battery connections at the starter, 12V at main battery cable and 12V at solenoid with ign. To start. Of course, raise car put on stands.

There are a couple of relays in the main fuse box that could also be bad.

Could also be clutch safety switch.

Remove switch and jump connections, if car starts then CSS is culprit.

The other relay I mentioned is called "engine main" in fuse box.
And again, could also be the ign. Switch itself.

+2
Wednesday, December 9th, 2009 AT 5:31 AM
CDSHAA

Issue is resolved! Got to thinking about everything that has been replaced and all the good suggestions received to my questions while replacing the ignition switch (which needed replaced anyway as the key was broken off) and I noticed through the dash that there was a small cloth floor mat jammed way up in to the firewall. Essentially the floor mat was blocking the clutch safety switch from fully engaging and completing the circuit giving a false notion that there was something major wrong. All is in good operational Toyota health!
Thanks for your suggestions in helping me trouble shoot this repair.
Thanks,
cd

Sunday, December 13th, 2009 AT 9:04 AM
MMPRINCE4000

Great news. Thanks for using 2carpros.

Monday, December 14th, 2009 AT 7:31 AM
PROSTREETMONTESS
  • 1990 TOYOTA COROLLA

1990 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 266, 00 miles

I have a 90 corolla that I have driven every where until lately. During the winter the car became harder to start. The code to replace the air temp sensor came up so I replaced that. Still no car running. It will turn over and crank but will not start. It will be on the verge of firing but will only run for a second or so. I just replaced the water pump and the alternater.

Friday, July 7th, 2017 AT 3:35 PM (Merged)
MMPRINCE4000

Check fuel pressure and spark. Also check the timing belt (how long has it been since it was changed?).

Fuel pressure check requires a special adapter that screws into the cold start valve port in the rail.

It may also be the ignition module is bad in the distributor.

GIFTOFGODJOAN
  • 1990 TOYOTA COROLLA

1990 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 84,000 miles

I replaced the altenator and the battery the headlights are bright but it still won't start with out a jump or less than a minute on a charger. The altenator tested that it was going bad. It has a very faint click when you try to turn it over nothing else

STEVEW84

Are you getting battery voltage to the starter?

MMPRINCE4000

Take car to any autoparts store and have battery and charging system tested for free. They can also test starter "draw" and system drains.

STEVEW84

What auto parts store knows how to test for a draw? Most of them don't even know what a parasitic draw is.

MMPRINCE4000

Advance, Oreilly's, Autozone all test battery, starter draw, Alt. Ripple, Alt. Amps, starter draw and parasitic drains.

STEVEW84

Ok. Well, have you ever asked anyone at those stores to perform that task and see what they say?

MELODIE6350
  • 1990 TOYOTA COROLLA

My car wont start but when it cools down it will start. Now it wont start at all even after its cooled. Could it be the ignition switch?

MMPRINCE4000

Not sure what your point is, but yes, I have ask and they perform the test.

Pick your symptoms below check it and get back with some testing results

**Cranks but no start condition:

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.

OR

**No crank at all/nothing/nada when key is engage to starting position

Could be a blown fusible link, the starter, starter relay, park and neutral switch/transmission position switch and ignition switch assuming the battery condition and connections are good. Note:If it doesn't apply disregard.

MIKEPIERSON
  • 1990 TOYOTA COROLLA

1990 Toyota corolla cranks but wont start when engine is warm. Starts when engine is cool.

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-Hot or Cold -Do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

MIKEPIERSON

Its getting spark. No fuel!

MIKEPIERSON

Its getting spark. No fuel.

DANLESABRE

How did you determine there is no fuel? Are fuses good?

RTLAWSON
  • 1990 TOYOTA COROLLA

1990 Toyota Corolla won't start.

Replaced Plugs, Plug Wires, Distributor Cap, Rotor, Ignition Coil, Fuel Pump, EFI Fuse(blown)

Before replacing fuel pump, the Check Engine light would come on when starting car, but go out as soon as EFI Fuse blew.

After replacing fuel pump, Check Engine light not coming on. EFI fuse good.

After replacing fuel pump, using starter fluid, the car started and ran for about 2 mins. It shut off and I have not been able to restart.

I have pressure at the fuel rail. I don't have any way to test the pressure, but it sprays out when I loosen the connection on the end of it.

Also note that this vehicle was sitting for about 18 months. I pumped out as much old gas as I could and replaced with fresh gas.

Any thoughts, hopes or prays?