1994 Toyota Corolla Hard Starting

CHRISP83
  • 1994 TOYOTA COROLLA
Same car as my previous post(Air filter housing).

Before I took it in for the engine re-build, it would start "one kick", whether hot or cold, even after not driving it for a week plus. I could even turn the key with my hand through the window and it would start, no revving required.

Now, hot or cold, I have to continuously crank the engine for a bout 5-8 secs, with my foot a bit on the throttle, before it comes to life. Once it does start, there is a rough idle, sort of misfire for about 5 more seconds, then a smooth idle. Thereafter its smooth to drive, plenty power and acceleration.

The mechs say they took the car to a service shop for "tuning" before they delivered it back to me. I'm not sure what this "tuning" exactly was.

Any ideas?
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 2:25 AM

MMPRINCE4000
Check fuel pressure with a mechanical gauge, most Toyota's require a special tool set since they do not have a fuel pressure test port. Also check the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line for the presence of gas, which would indicate a ruptured FPR diaphram.

OR, spray some starting fluid in throttle body and if it starts right up for a few seconds, then fuel issue, if not then ignition problem.

Ask the installer to define what they exactly mean by "tune".
Wednesday, March 4th, 2009 AT 6:19 AM
CHRISP83
The "tune-up" was basically checking timing & co emissions etc.

I took it back to the service shop, had to leave it overnight as this problem "can only be solved when the car is cold". The mechanic says he "set" the choke on the car.

When I collected, it was starting perfectly, now, 1 day later, same problem.
Thursday, March 12th, 2009 AT 11:19 AM
CHRISP83
Update....

I shorted pins TE1 and E1 on the diagnosis connector. The "check engine" light gave me a code 24, which is "air intake temp sensor" according to

http://www.2carpros.com/trouble_codes/obd2

I disconnected the sensor, now car is starting nicely. Could be a coincidence, will have to see.

I will drive around tomorrow and see if the problem comes back.

Any harm in driving for a short period of time with the sensor disconnected?
Thursday, March 12th, 2009 AT 12:14 PM
CHRISP83
I am having a tough time finding the air temp sensor. Is there a way to test it using a multimeter?

I would like to know that it is definately faulty (and not a electrical short in the car) before having to order from outside the country.
Friday, March 13th, 2009 AT 2:57 AM