Camshaft Position Sensor

JAZZYTRUMPETER
  • TOYOTA CAMRY

1996 Toyota Camry LE 2.2L 203,000 miles

Help! I'm in a situation that nobody seems to know an answer to. My wife has a 1996 Camry with a check engine light on. The light signifies that the camshaft position sensor is faulty. However, after several inspections by different mechanics and even a local community college auto technician program, we've been told that the current engine in our Camry does NOT have a camshaft position sensor and there is no solution to the problem. Evidently, engines were swapped out by a previous owner of the vehicle. Our Camry's computer is searching for the camshaft position sensor, but there is no sensor to be accounted for. What kind of solutions are there to this problem? Were the previous mechanics right about there being no solution to the problem? Is it possible to install that sensor. Or can the problem be bypassed within the car's computer?

I've identified the engine as a 5A-FE engine. Originally, according to the VIN and after cross-referencing with Toyota's website, there was a 3MZ-FE engine in the car. Where can I go to find out the OEM part number for the specific computer that corresponds with a 5A-FE engine? Are there several different kinds of computers that could go with that specific engine? Thanks

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2006 AT 9:03 AM

LOSONE

The 5A-FE is an import engine that was sold out or Japan or China as a bolt in replecement for the 3 series engine. It is a high performance engine that does not uses a cam sensor but uses the distributer as a reference.

There is no way that I know of to replace the computer becauuse the connectors won't work. There was a modification that came with the engine wiring that allowed the engine to run.

I will do some more research to see if there is a way to fool the computer with the distributor signal.

Actually the 5 engine runs quite lean and should get better fuel economy in these trying gas days.

I'll let you know if I can come up with a solution.

Good Luck

Wednesday, May 3rd, 2006 AT 8:25 AM
RANDYJR1193

Hey JAZZYTRUMPETER,

Here is a guide and diagram to replace your cam angle sensor.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/camshaft-angle-sensor-replacement

alldatadiy.com

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/78273_cam_position_sensor_for_1996_toyota_camry_1.gif

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

+4
Monday, March 10th, 2008 AT 10:13 PM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey,

Did you ever get the problem fixed?

Best, Ken

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 11:59 AM
SEABEEMATT
  • 1999 TOYOTA RAV4
  • MERGED

I just installed a new cam shaft sensor before replacing a worn timing belt and I am still getting a P0340 code and I was wondering does A Toyota camshaft sensor need to be timed to the engine or does the ECU automatically put them in sync and if not how does one perform that task.

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 12:03 PM
ASEMASTER6371
  • MERGED

Are you sure the timing belt is correct?

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 12:03 PM
SEABEEMATT
  • MERGED

Yes I followed the Chilton's manual very closely besides if it wasn't wouldn't there be other tall tale signs such as running rough, or engine shuttering when accelerating or damage to the engine due to the fact its a interference engine? Just a guess.

Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 12:03 PM
ASEMASTER6371
  • MERGED

I would remove the covers and confirm the marks.

Do a compression test as well. Should be around 125-150

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 12:03 PM