Camshaft sensor change

HARRISON1969
  • 2001 TOYOTA CAMRY
My camshaft sensor on my cary 2001 v6 model is bad and I am where there is no mechanic, so I want to do it my self pls send me a guide on how to go about this
Tuesday, November 10th, 2015 AT 7:23 AM

Here is a guide to help walk you through the steps of the repair with diagrams to show you on your car below. torque is 71 in. lbs.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/camshaft-angle-sensor-replacement

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
Tuesday, November 10th, 2015 AT 10:41 AM
DSANTIBANEZ
  • 2001 TOYOTA CAMRY
How to replace cam sensor
Tuesday, January 15th, 2019 AT 6:56 PM (Merged)
Camshaft Position Sensor

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_cs_5.jpg

REPLACEMENT
1.REMOVE CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
a.Disconnect the sensor connector.
b.Remove the bolt and sensor.
2.REINSTALL CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
a.Install the sensor with the bolt. Torque: 9.5 N.m (97 kgf.cm, 84 in.lbf)
b.Connect the sensor connector.

http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/auto_repair_manuals_alldata.htm
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 2001 TOYOTA CAMRY
Camshaft position sensor circuit low bank 1 circuit 2? Changed the sensor and still getting the code. Can you help me?
Just because it gives that code doesn't mean that is the problem. What is the code given also check connectors for poor connection
UNIT40
  • 1997 TOYOTA CAMRY
I have a 1997 toyota camry 4cyl, 2.2L california emissions.
Replaced IAC valve, egr regulator, egr modulator, egr vsv valve, knock sensor, crank position sensor, cam position sensor, ignition coils.
When started cold engine idles from 1600 to 1800 rpm and reduces to 750 as engine warms up. However the cold idle seems very high.I rplaced temp sensor 3 years ago. These are all factory parts. Couls this be vacuum leak or map sensor?
SATURNTECH9
I would look for a vacuum leak do you have any codes?
KHLOW2008
Cold idle depends on weather and coolant temperature and 1600 to 1800 rpm is normal.
STACEYMAX2
  • 1998 TOYOTA CAMRY
I have changed the belts, water pump, and it is not running properly, while trying to accelerate it feels like I am sitting still and engine does rev. I had put a tester and said it was camshaft sensor code p03040. Where is it located so I can get it out to replace or see if its just disconnected.
Tuesday, January 15th, 2019 AT 6:57 PM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS
There is no code p03040 I am wondering if it may be Code P0304 - Cylinder #4 Misfire, if so check ignition lead, cracked distributor cap, faulty injector faulty spark plug, low compression.
JCAMACHO1989LIVECOM
  • 1996 TOYOTA CAMRY
Having trouble with my 1996 Camry, I am hearing conflicting stories. Some folks say that the 96 Camry does have a CPS depending on what engine size and model engine. Others say that it does have one but it is not a stand alone unit and it is one with the distributor. Lastly some say it is on the side where the belts and pulleys are located. Anyone, anybody have insight or prior experience working or dealing with this problem? Code is P0340. Really, I just need to know if it has a stand alone CPS, if so, where is it located? If it is or if it is'nt tied together with the distributor?

Thanks,
JC
WRENCHTECH
For future reference the abbreviation for a cam sensor is CMP. I had no idea what you were talking about until I saw the code number.

Your car does have one. It is in the distributor.
JCAMACHO1989LIVECOM
Okay, thank you. I've called the parts houses and they seem to be trying to sell me a stand alone Cam Shaft Sensor for around $80ish or so. So when I call the parts house do I ask for a new distributor and it should come with a Cam Shaft Sensor or ask for a new Cam Shaft Sensor?
JCAMACHO1989LIVECOM
Also I have a code for P0505 (Idle Air Control?) Would it be possible that one of these codes contribute to the other making the Check Engine Light illuminate? Or are they not related in any way?

-JC
WRENCHTECH
I would use a reman distributor. The whole distributor would have to be disassembled to get that sensor out as the shaft passes through it.
WRENCHTECH
No, those are 2 different problems.
JCAMACHO1989LIVECOM
Thank you!
LITTLEHANDS
  • 1996 TOYOTA CAMRY
1996 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 189k miles

I was told that the cam sensor on my camry is bad. I purchased a new one and I am having an issue locating it in the car. I was told it was behind the firewall on the passenger side and I still cant find it. I have a manuel for the camry but the only thing in there on the sensor is for v6 and I have a 4. Please help as soon as possible. I need this issue resolved quickly. I have a 1 year old that is always with me and I would not want the car breaking down with her in it.

Thank you
Michele
DOCFIXIT
2.2L engine has no cam sensor only crankshaft. What is problem? Check engine light on?
Camshaft sensor used on 97 check your date of manufacture
LITTLEHANDS
The car is running rough, we replaced everything we can think of and reset the computer that and light is still ok. We took it to a garage and the guy says that it is the cam sensor that it is ready off. The car takes a while to pick up speed when I am accelorating from a stop light or at any time for that matter. I pretty much floor the pedal and it is going like 20 mph. It is a 96 camry tho so I dont know why it would say that the camshaft sensor is the issue when it doesnt have one? Please help