88 Camry - Engine dies

CHRISSEA
  • 1988 TOYOTA CAMRY
I have an 88 Camry, 3SFE 2000 FI, automatic and I need help. Please!

Engine starts up and idles fine when it's cold. As soon as the engine warms up, after about 15 or 20 minutes, it sputters and dies. When this happens there is no spark at the plugs. It will spark once and then no spark. Once it cools down (15 minutes or so later) the it cranks and starts up just fine again. This is driving me crazy!
Also, I found a little oil in the distributor cap when this initially happened. The neutral safety switch acts up sometimes too.

Have already replaced:
wires
cap
rotor button
ignition coil
ignitor
air filter
oil pressure switch

ANY help or ideas would be great! Thanks
Wednesday, April 25th, 2007 AT 7:38 AM

THE_HYDROXIDE_CHILD
Sounds wierd but ill take a shot. Sounds to me like the coolant temperature sensor cuz what I was always told was the cts adjusts the fuel and everything in certain temperatures. But thats just what I would check.
Wednesday, April 25th, 2007 AT 11:46 AM
CHRISSEA
Thanks. I'm buying one of those this evening. If anyone else has any other ideas it would be greatly appreciated as this is very frustrating. Everyday we try something and it turns out to not be the solution.
Thursday, April 26th, 2007 AT 6:29 PM
The neutral safety switch acts up sometimes too.

The NSS is gonna be a starting issue, Dies out could be an ignition switch failing, coil, and ignitor.
Thursday, April 26th, 2007 AT 7:14 PM
CHRISSEA
We replaced coil & ignitor already, no luck, not sure about the ignition switch & I'm getting an NSS this weekend if the temp sensor that I bought last night doesn't do the trick.
Friday, April 27th, 2007 AT 7:59 AM
Check the fuel pressure to rule out the pump-CTS and ignition switch good place to start
Friday, April 27th, 2007 AT 3:25 PM
CHRISSEA
We found a crack in the aluminum housing (waterneck) where the ECT sits and the coolant return hose attaches. Could this cause our problem?
Friday, April 27th, 2007 AT 5:11 PM
The ECT/TPS/MAF sensor when defective will cause stalling-check the ECT resistances cold and hot. Try fixing it then retry and comeback we still got a long way to go to find this critter.

Have you ever change the oxygen sensor?

The coolant sensor monitors engine temperature. The PCM uses this information to regulate a wide variety of ignition, fuel and emission control functions. When the engine is cold, for example, the fuel mixture needs to be richer to improve drivability. Once the engine reaches a certain temperature, the PCM starts using the signal from the O2 sensor to vary the fuel mixture. This is called "closed loop" operation, and it is necessary to keep emissions to a minimum.

Also might want to bypass the ignition switch to rule it out by taking a wire from the battery positive post to the coil positive terminal this will power the ignition without the help of the igniton switch. The only time you need the switch is to engage the starter that's all. And see what happens. This don't work check the other sensors.

Good LUck
Saturday, April 28th, 2007 AT 1:05 AM
CHRISSEA
Got a distributor at the junk yard and it's all better! It's run for 55 minutes so far and it's looking good!
Thanks so much for all the help! I'm sure I'll be back again. Knock on wood.
Thank you!
Saturday, April 28th, 2007 AT 5:15 PM