1998 Toyota Camry Car stalls

DARKNESS420
  • 1998 TOYOTA CAMRY
Hi, ok heres the deal. My car stalls & then won't start when I turn on my A/C. It happens at lights or even in the driveway. I tried just having the fan on, defrost on, heat on & nothing happens. But as soon as I turn on the A/C it starts having a very rough idle & most of the time stalls. I turned the fan to the 3rd setting (with A/C on) and the idle shot up to 2000 rpm and wouldn't budge, so then I turned the fan to the 4th setting, the idle dropped like a lead weight and stalled right away. I recently had my battery & alternator checked & they said they were good.
Sunday, August 15th, 2010 AT 5:22 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi darkness420,

Thank you for the donation.

This is a pculiar problem and I guess it is not going to be easy to diagnose and rectify.

Questions would be asked as we go along to understand the problem better and hopefully we can get the problem fixed.

What is the idling speed when A/C is off and engine at operating temperature?
Does the idling speed drop and goes back up when A/C is turned on?
HAs anything been done to try to rectify the problem.

Symptoms indicates a fault with the idling circuit and it could be the IAC and throttle body that is dirty and requires cleaning. If they had not been cleaned before, get them cleaned and retest.
Monday, August 16th, 2010 AT 9:18 AM
DARKNESS420
Ok, cleaned the iac and throttle body. Worked fine for a little while, but I just took a trip to buy a new battery & the car acted up (stalled twice) after I had installed the new battery. After it finally started, I stopped at a gas station to put gas in my car & it stalled as I entered the gas station. Finally got the car started after 20 minutes and idled at 2000 rpm then died again (no fan, ac or anything running). Finally got it to drive and it wanted to stall at every light we had to stop at. Had to hold the brake with left foot while pushing the gas until the light turned green. Made it home & as soon as I parked. The car, dead.
Monday, August 16th, 2010 AT 6:37 PM
KHLOW2008
Was the IAC disconnected from the throttle body for cleaning?

While cleaning, did you check if the valve is moving freely and swings back to position if you gently push it open fully with a fine screw driver?

Though no trouble codes are present, I believe the IAC is sticking intermittently causing the problem as described.

Get the valve clearance checked. If they are too tight, indling would be erratic.

Intake = 0.19 - 0.29 mm
Exhaust = 0.29 - 0.38mm

Valve adjustment should be done with cold engine.
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 AT 7:11 AM