TRANSMISSION NOT SHIFTING INTO OD UNTIL WARM

Toyota 4Runner

rbbrox

February, 15, 2007 AT 3:17 PM

I bought a 1995 Toyota 4runner, auto, 3.0, 72000 mi.
In the morning when cold the truck will not shift into overdrive for about 5 minutes until it warms up. I had it checked out by two mechanic that the dealer I bought the truck from referred me to. I also contacted Toyota service and a couple of transmission shops, to ask if this was normal. The referred mechanics both couldn't find anything wrong even when starting off cold though one guy said it was normal until it warms up. The Toyota service guy said it was normal in the newer 4runner but he wasn't sure about 1995. Another transmission guy said sometimes the thermostat will be change out with the wrong temp causing the sensors to fault.
can anyone confirm this or i'm I getting the run around?

Trans Not Shifting

Not Shifting

1 IMAGE

Indyuke

February, 15, 2007 AT 4:15 PM

I may be wrong, but i've heard that it is normal for your vehicle. Many vehicles are designed not to go into overdrive until the the vehicle has warmed up some. That ensures the transmission reaches operating temperature.

Here up north, I've heard of cars going over the pass and coming down the other side on a cold day, the vehicle temp will drop so low that not only will the thermostat close, but the the tranny will downshift out of overdrive. It won't upshift again until the temp has come back up. I hope this helps.