TIMING BELT, WATER PUMPS, AND PULLEYS

Subaru

dobrien

May, 22, 2007 AT 2:55 PM

Hello, I own a 1998 Subaru Outback wagon with 2.2 liter engine and 100,000 miles on it.

I am about the replace the timing belt and water pump. I received a cheaper estimate to " replace the belt" and an more expensive one. The person who gave me the more expensive estimatesaid that it was because he would replace pulleys and other accessories to the belt and the person who gave me the cheaper estimate would not.

Can you explain this? What are pulleys? Are they neccessary to replace?

Thank you.

Danny

Drive Belt Pulleys

1 ANSWER
1 IMAGE

Fan Belt Pully

RevDave

August, 13, 2007 AT 3:31 PM

The two tensioning rollers play an important roll in the operation of the drive belts. They exert the force which allows the belts to grip the pulleys on the devices they drive, i.E. Water pump, alternator, a/c compressor. Because the tensioning rollers are held from one side and maintain the pressure of the drive belt, their bearings are subject to powerful stress. Over time, those bearings can be worn or even damaged. It is a good idea to replace the tension rollers when the belts are replaced if they show any " stiffness" or grinding.
I don't know if the lubrication can be refreshed. (The bearings may be sealed) I'd be inclined to take the repair offer which includes the rollers if it's not too much money.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz