After taking the shifter ball out I only have third fourth and reverse

LORI PIETRUSZEWSKI
  • 1994 FORD F-150
I had taken the shifter ball out and now I only have third, fourth and reverse on manual clutch if I put it in first it does not move.
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 3:58 PM

STEVE W.
What was the initial reason for taking the shifter apart? Stuck between gears? If so you probably have a bad detent spring or ball in the top cover. About the only way to repair it is to remove the transmission top cover, line up the slots in the rails and take it apart to replace the springs.

One thing you could look at, The tip of those levers can wear and cause strange shifting problems. It is possible you could remove the lever, reach into the trans and line up the shift rail slots in a straight line examine the rails for damage, and if they will stay in position (all lined up is neutral) Then visit a salvage yard or a dealer and buy a replacement lever if it is worn.

If you took it apart because moving the lever did not select a gear (try putting it in first and nothing happens or it pops out) you may have a broken shift fork or shift fork retaining pin. That will require removing the top cover to repair.
If the clutch has not been done in a while it would not be a bad idea to get those parts as well.
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2017 AT 5:12 PM
LORI PIETRUSZEWSKI
  • 1994 FORD F-150
I took the shifter ball out and the forks do not line up correctly. Can this be adjusted?
Wednesday, January 4th, 2017 AT 1:44 PM (Merged)
I may not be your fix.

However, other folks on here could jump in and help more.

Just to maybe get things rolling with our end (maybe for me too),

Why did you disassemble the shifter to begin with? Was all A-OK before you did it?

What is your engine size?

More info on the type transmission?

Can you send some good well lit pictures of what you deem as the forks not lining up?

Maybe explain the whole deal with more detail?

Your turn!

The Medic
LORI PIETRUSZEWSKI
I have been having a lot of clutch problems. This is a manual straight six. I was diving and I believe it jumped gears I could only get it into fourth and reverse if the truck was off. I can get into first and second but It does not engage after taking the shifter ball off, it clearly does not line up with the fork. How do you move them to be in the right position?
LORI PIETRUSZEWSKI
Do you have a picture of how those forks look if you were looking down the hole from inside the cab?
KEN
Hey LORI,

You cannot adjust the clutch fork. it sounds more like you have a clutch disc that is falling apart not allowing the clutch to disengage.

Here is are some guides that help you get the problem fixed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/clutch-doesnt-work-sometimes-or-not-at-all

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-clutch

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken