STUCK IN PARK !

DIESELMAOYEN
  • 1987 FORD F-150
Replaced stop light switch (finally found one) Shift lever still will not move ! Un-hooked linkage at tranny and it shifts fine so I assume tranny ok. Seems to be bound up on the column. No resistance on lever when you pull it back to put in gear(used to have resistance) Could something be broken where shift arm attaches to column?
Thursday, March 5th, 2009 AT 7:11 PM

JAMES W.
It sounds like the column is not letting the shift fork move lets try disconnecting the cable/linkage and then move the shifter with the ket on. Here is a diagrams to help us see what's going on. Let me know
Thursday, March 5th, 2009 AT 8:14 PM
DIESELMAOYEN
Don't see any cable. Think I have rod linkage
+1
Thursday, March 5th, 2009 AT 8:30 PM
JAMES W.
OK, if you have a rod linkage, it should be under the hood attached to a lever on the steering column next to the firewall. Does this lever/rod move when you move the shifter?
Thursday, March 5th, 2009 AT 9:16 PM
DIESELMAOYEN
+1
Thursday, March 5th, 2009 AT 9:22 PM
JAMES W.
OK, I'm trying to picture this. You say the rod attached to the shift arm under the hood is connected and moving up and down. Correct?
Is the rod under the hood, attached to the steering column, going back to the trans selector arm move back and forth?
+1
Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 12:46 AM
DIESELMAOYEN
It DOES NOT MOVE UP N DOWN, also the rod attached to the steering column going back to the trans selector does not move. By moving I mean the arm has a little play in it;you can wiggle shifter lever and it in turn wiggles the arms (rods) on the steering column
-1
Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 8:26 AM
JAMES W.
OK, now we're getting somewhere. Apparently, the socket that your shift lever fits into, inside the column is broken. This is more common on manual shifts than automatics, but it does happen. You can buy replacement parts, pull the steering wheel, signal switch and key assembly to repair it, but it's a miserable job. I would highly recomend buying a used column and replacing the entire unit. Being an '87 truck, you should have no problem finding a used on at a reasonable price and probably even match the color. Let me know'
Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 12:44 PM
DIESELMAOYEN
Have wheel pulled and all the guts out. If I decided to replace parts how hard would it be now that I have all the guts out?It appears that a 1/4 inch wide flat rod might be the problem? When we pull the center silver plate like object below the tilt pinion(?) It will shift thru the gears;looks like the lil flat rod might be bent or is binding
Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 2:05 PM
JAMES W.
If you have all that apart already, your 1/2 way there. What you need to do is determine what's broke and what you need to replace. If it's the shift collar, they are readily available, but come unpainted. If it's the shaft going through the column, you have to pull the column out and trar the whole thing apart. A big job. Good luck. Personally, I'd change out the whole column.
Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 2:47 PM
DIESELMAOYEN
Thank you Mr. Weizel for all your time and patience; you guys do a really fantastic job answering questions from people like me that don't have a clue in heck what is wrong! Again thank you n when I get a few xtra bucks I will donate more than the $10 I have donated. Gonna get a different column and put that in.
-1
Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 3:17 PM
JAMES W.
Hey, don't appoligize for not knowing somethihg, none of us know it all. We weren't born with knowledge, we all started out asking questions just like you have. Best to ya', anything else, you know where to find us.
Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 8:23 PM
DIESELMAOYEN
  • 1987 FORD F-150
Made a $5 donation on evening of 3/2 no response as of 3/3 am. Problem am having is shift lever is stuck in park. Key switch stopped working prox 3 months ago switched to pushbutton using the key only to unlock steering wheel n power. Have tried moving tilt wheel to various positions. Truck started while in gear last time shifter worked
Friday, October 26th, 2018 AT 1:07 PM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT
Sorry for the delay
my bad I must over looked it
thank you for the donation

know its starting but will not come out of park !
I would check it the brake light coming on
when stepped on brake paddle

my 1st suspicion would be a bad brake light switch on top brake paddle
use a test light check fuses check if you have power at the brake light switch
should have power on one and when stepped on should have power on all
let me know
STEVE W.
Sounds like the lock actuator is broke. When you turned the key and it felt "gummy" that was likely the lock actuator (made of pot metal) failing. The actuator is now stuck in the shift flange and won't let the shifter move and will not let the key turn very far.
The problem parts can be accessed by stripping the steering column apart and replacing the failed part.
This video might give you an idea on what to look for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ekFWcUuIuw
Picture below is likely the failed part.

google - Ford f150 steering column lock actuator
and select videos, lots of them to watch and get an idea how the column comes apart for the repair, and "alternate" methods as well.
-1
MIKE OLIVEIRA
To Steve W. Your exactly right. I got in a pinch took the steering coloum apart. Didn't see anything while steering wheel was off and various other plasic things. I'm an old school shade tree mechanic at best. 1987 fairly new for my blood. Anyway I took the coulmn into the shed and poke and prodded. Still nothing. Then a slime piece of metal hit the floor. Made me about half mad because I was in learning mode and I didn't get to see where the darm thing come from. I'm on the road again, less cruise control and the horn. But the signals cut off by themselves now. Thank you Mike
STEVE W.
You're very welcome. I started under a Maple myself.

Thank you for using 2CarPros. Com. Tell your friends, family and anyone you like about us and please return with any auto related questions, we're here to help.
WESWILLIAMSON87
I really apperciate ur kindness in trying to help me and yes I have done all that and still nothing I dont have a clue what could be causing it I can move the shifter down bout half an inch like going into reverse but it stops right before reverse im thinking its the linkage and I just need a new steering colum. But how could it go out if I wasnt driving it the 2 months it was sittin and then after the 2 months it was sitting due to needing a new door I get in it start it and it doesnt come outa park weird if u ask me and yes hopefully an expert jumps in and helps out but I didnt leave a tip so probly not anyway thank u medic
Sorry!

Still, someone else could jump in, and answer you also

Maybe you can use the search box at the top and find another Same/ Similar question with an answer to better than mine?

Again, let me know if that takes you to higher places!

The Medic
WANTEDEYES
  • 1989 FORD F-150
Ignition has been replaced, problem still exist.
What exactly is it doing? Other than stuck in park-Is it cranking over and will not start? If so check for spark and fuel-