1997 Saturn SC2 Warped Valve cover (dual overhead CAM)

• 1997 SATURN SC2

1997 Saturn SC2 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 109000 miles

my battery died and I took the car (1997 Saturn SC2) to a local garage. They told me I needed a new battery.
They also told me I needed a new gasket, which cost me $220 (including labor).
When I picked the car up the following day it made a whistling/whirring sound as I was driving.
It never made any sounds before.
I took the car back and was told it was leaking a lot of oil and needed a new valve cover (dual overhead cam).
Before I dropped the car off it worked fine and made no noise. It just needed a new battery. Now, after leaving it at the garage, it's making a lot of noise and needs a new gasket and a new valve cover. So I'm suspicious as to why that is.
The garage told me that the valve cover will cost $400 if they get it from the dealer, but maybe they can find it on ebay for $75.
Does this all sound legit to you or am I being ripped off.
What should I do?

Thursday, July 8th, 2010 AT 4:12 PM

I don't know about the noise but I know that the valve cover does get warped some time's and leak's even with a new gasket but since it leak's worse since they replaced it I would say it's not from the cover being warped. What probably happened was when they replaced the gasket they didn't put a bead of silicone across the area where the front cover meets the head and you have to put it in both places the side closest to the firewall and the place closest to the a/c compressor. If you don't do that then you will have a huge oil leak. Is that where it's leaking passenger corner front and rear?

Thursday, July 8th, 2010 AT 4:22 PM