CAR WILL NOT START WHEN IT GETS COLD

2005 Saturn Ion

dandobrando

November, 28, 2008 AT 10:04 PM

2005 Saturn Ion 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 57,000 miles

The car will not start (will not turn over - not a sound) when the outside temperature hits near or below freezing. Battery is strong. However, after the morning sun warms the car a few degrees, it starts like normal. I've been using a small electrical unit heater to heat the interior of the car (placing it just under the dash) in the morning. I run the heater for about 20 minutes and the car starts right up. Apparently, there is something in the ignition system that isn't making contact when the temperature drops to a certain point.

mhpautos

November, 29, 2008 AT 4:09 AM

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

I would start with doing a continuity test on the ignition switch (crank circuit) in the switch loom only this will have to be done cold, and may be set up the evening before so nothing will be disturbed in the morning, just have it so you have to turn on the multi meter and turn the key to crank, if you have continuity there I would be doing the same thing at the loom plug for the switch, checking for corroded or loose pin connectors, try this first.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang