CAR WILL NOT START WHEN BELOW 30 DEGREES

• rrouthier
  • 2004 Saturn Ion

When it is below 30 degrees the car will not turn over or start. After approx. 20 mins. It starts right up. What is the problem? I have been told if I cut a white wire it will eliminate the problem, is this true and if it is how and what wire?

Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 AT 11:41 PM

• rasmataz

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 AT 11:48 PM
  • saturntech9

If the security light is on solid or flashing when it doesnt start then its most likely a bad igniion switch.I dont recomend cutting any wires.

Wednesday, December 14th, 2011 AT 12:26 AM