Rings going but still has 3 of 4 cylinders and running decent

ROVER61
  • 2000 TOYOTA COROLLA
If a vehicle that has rings going out (whatever that means) and no compression on cylinder 3 but good compression on the others could I still run it for a while as long as I keep oil in it? Seems like it might last a while, especially for short trips (50 miles or less).

More Details/History:
My 2000 Corolla has been increasingly eating oil for 18 months. In the last 6 months there were Fault codes thrown: Misfire on 3 (first), Random Misfire, Catalytic Converter fault of some kind. First time I replaced the plug for #3 no "check engine" light for a few months. Check Engine recently started flashing indicating ongoing misfires. Has some stuttering, mostly at low rpms. Recently changed plugs but made little or no difference. Mechanic checked it today and found cylinder 3 has no compression, the other cylinders have good compression. I drove the vehicle back home from far away recently (450 miles). I have free towing for 100 miles. Would prefer to drive it until it dies then tow it home to my barn (store for parts, I have another similar corolla) or junk it.
Monday, August 4th, 2014 AT 6:21 PM

Bad rings will NOT cause "NO COMPRESSION." Are you sure it is at 0?
Monday, August 4th, 2014 AT 7:08 PM
Also, running on 3 cylinders is going to cause other problems. You will be dumping raw fuel into the exhaust system which will destroy the catalytic converter, cause the O2 sensors to send bad readings to the computer to lean the system. Can you drive it? I guess you could, but other issues will come up and the vehicle could stall in a bad situation or other things.
Monday, August 4th, 2014 AT 7:11 PM
ROVER61
Thanks for your responses. The mechanic said bad rings would cause loss of compression eventually since the rings hold some compression for the cylinder.

As far as still driving the vehicle; What I have heard is that the catalytic converter will cause back pressure to build up and eventually blow a head gasket or something like that. But it could take a while. One person suggest I could remove the catalytic converter and go "straight pipe" as he put it. Not sure what all teh implications are of doing that.

Do you know?

Thanks Again.
Tuesday, August 5th, 2014 AT 10:12 AM
I can't tell you to do that. It's against federal laws. As for the rings, you could remove them and still have compression. It would just be lower. I think you had a valve stuck open.
Tuesday, August 5th, 2014 AT 6:15 PM