AIRBAG WARNING LIGHT ON

2003 Renault Megane

Norriedee

March, 27, 2010 AT 2:53 PM

Interior problem
2003 Renault Megane 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 67000 miles

Recently Had my Airbag Warning Light Come On,
Service Light Also On, Clicking Noise Whilst Turning Left Or Right, Also, When Istop The Car And Put Engine Off And Remove Keycard A Message Stating
STEERING NOT LOCKED Appears In IDash Info Panel.
Has Something Worked Loose Within The Steering Column Shroud? Can I Access Inside Without Setting Off The Airbag?
Am Reluctant To Take to Renault Dealers Due To Their Exhorbitant Charges, Can You Advise Please

Dave H

March, 28, 2010 AT 5:05 AM

Renaul vehicles are known for electrical/wiring/connector faults. It could well be a wiring connector etc.. Remove the battery leads 5 minutes before working on the vehicle to disable airbag system, the fault may be behind the dashboard and not in the steering column !. Also have the vehicle scanned for fault codes before disconnecting the battery. There may be codes stored in the BCM (body control module) which will pinpoint where the fault lies ! Also remeber to have the radio code handy before disconnecting the battery.