DIAGNOSTIC CODE READER

2003 Renault Megane

bassey1

April, 25, 2009 AT 4:16 PM

2003 Renault Megane 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual

i was wondering if anyone knows what is the best code reader for my car is as there are so many out there, I am not sure and don't want to just get one and find out it, no good.. Thanks.

Dave H

April, 26, 2009 AT 6:34 AM

It all depends on what you want to do with the code reader (scanner) ...if you just want to get the powertrain (engine/gearbox) fault codes and do simple sensor road test's then check out the tool's link below for a scanner ... if you want to get into Immoboliser/Electronic/Body systems the you will need a full OBDII/CAN system scanner which will probably start off around the 2000 mark ...

hope this helps

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_574.png

bassey1

April, 28, 2009 AT 4:31 AM

Cheers for the answer, what it is, is that the toxic fume light is on and wont go out, I have changed all 4 pencil coils, lambda sensor and its had a full service, it's also passed its MOT and emissions test. I asked the mechanic that done the MOT if he could do anything but said you need a scanner/reset code reader. He said there was a few out there and some at reasonable prices other than that he said it would be a trip to the dealer, and a good chunk of money it will cost too.

Dave H

April, 28, 2009 AT 6:50 AM

Hey.

You just need the basic handheld scanner to discover the actual fault code and turn off the light. I recommend you purchase the 2nd OBDII scanner as this gives the code definitions on screen and therefore you do not need to look up the codes elsewhere. you have probably already repaired the fault and the light just needs turning off ... if you go to a dealer they will charge you 85 just to plug in the vehicle and then try and charge for any work they say needs doing .. so it is worth the the price for this and any future faults when they occur ..hope this helps

let me know

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_589.png