Powertrain engine light came on while driving, only 1,000km after 40,000km check up

MICHAEL JORDAN
  • 2013 FORD RANGER
Loss of power and a wheezing sound. What does this mean and what is the problem?
Saturday, September 5th, 2015 AT 6:51 AM

It sounds like you may have a vacuum leak. Here are two guides that will help us find the problem.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-an-engine-vacuum-gauge

Please run down these guides and report back.
Saturday, September 5th, 2015 AT 6:53 AM
MRDIXON
  • 2006 FORD RANGER
My check engine light came on this morning as soon as I cranked it up. I took it to Advance Auto and they read the OBD code and it's PO171. Something about bank 1 running lean. That's all they would tell me. Is it safe to drive the truck until I find out what this is?
Saturday, April 25th, 2020 AT 2:30 PM (Merged)
SATURNTECH9
Yes it should be safe to drive I would be looking for a vacuum leak and checking the actual fuel pressure. But most likely its probably a vacuum leak.
+1
MRDIXON
I found the vacuum leak. It's on what looks like a preformed hose at the back of the engine near the main vacuum line. I can't tell where this hose goes and I don't know the name of it to buy a new one. I've been trying to fine pictures of it and the best thing I can come up with is the EGR tube? There are two of these hose fittings one on top of the other but I can't figure out where it's going. Any suggestions? Thanks!
MRDIXON
Do you have a picture of that area of the engine? It's at the back of the plastic intake manifold between the intake and the firewall.
SATURNTECH9
I don't have pictures of the engine in that area but parts dot com has factory parts diagrams that will show all the parts of the engine.
SATURNTECH9
What your calling the egr tube does it go to vacuum? The tube you suspect is it leaking vacuum?
CALLINECTES
  • 2006 FORD RANGER
Hi Have a problem, My 2006 ranger seems to be having a fuel? Problem? It runs fine on initial startup, however after it is warmed up I lose power when I am idling for a long period(>60sec) of time or if I am coasting at highway speeds, The check engine light flashes on and off and I lose power, If I give it gas it kicks back in evetually, Or if I hold the idle up the problem does not occur. Could this be a fuel pump going bad? I went ahead and replaced the plugs, wires, checked the ignition coil and changed the fuel filter to no aviale. Is thier another sensor that could be causing the problem, Thanks Chris
Have the computer scanned for code/s-you have a problem within the engine management system that caused the CEL to turn on-This is your starting point of diagnosis, finding out what's going on.
CALLINECTES
Codes found P0171, P0300, P0303, P0304, PO305, P0316, I also tested fuel pressure seems low 62psi. I appreciate the help I will definitely "donate" as soon as my paypal clears. Chris
P0171

1. Vacuum leaks
2. EGR and PCV valve.
3. Low fuel pressure.
4. Dirty fuel injectors.
5. Mass Air Flow Sensor.

Misfire codes

1. Defective spark plug.
2. Inadequate spark/coil, defective spark plug wire.
3. Lack of compression
4. False air leakage.
5. Faulty fuel injectors.
6. Insufficient fuel pressure.
7. Contaminated fuel.
8. EGR valve that is leaking.
9. Oxygen sensors.
CALLINECTES
So I have two matching things, three if you count the pressure test, Low fuel pressure, I guess either I have garbage in my gas tank or my fuel pump is going bad?
WANDER_AMERICA
  • 2006 FORD RANGER
The check engine light came on at exactly 31,000 miles. No weird noises, no knocking, fluids look good, no weird smells, runs fine. Is it a factory installed "warning" that it's time for a visit to the dealer? A tune-up? How do I get the light to turn off. I live in a remote area of Alaska with no dealer support. Thanks!
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Check engine light means there is a trouble code(s) that has been stored in the vehicle's computer system. You need to retrieve the trouble code(s). Most auto part stores will do this for your for free, or you can purchase a diagnostic scanner and do it yourself. Post the code(s) you get and we can further assist you with the problem.

Sponsored links