Picture of starter wiring please

AMRAAM35
  • 2001 PONTIAC SUNFIRE
Hello, I replaced the transmission and clutch in my car, having to remove the entire transmission as a unit to to it, then replaced it. It went fine until I went to install the starter again. I remember taking three wires off, one signal wire and two larger wires from the alt and battery. However, when I went to put it back together, I had an extra large wire. The wiring did not match the wiring diagram in the Haynes manual, because in this car, the ignition signal goes to a starter relay, which the signal wire comes out of and goes to the starter. However, the power in line from the relay, I cannot figure out where it goes. It appears that they only place it goes is the starter, to get a constant source of power. I do not remember it like this, but seems to be the only option. Oh, and while doing this I accidentally touched the terminals on the starter together and sparks flew. When I tried to start it, the lights did not work, the dash/interior lights flash, and the starter does not work. Sounds like it is draining power though when I turn the ignition. My thinking is either I have the starter wired wrong, or I blew some electrical thing when I touched the terminals. Or both. Since the wiring diagram is not good (does not even show relay). I was hoping someone could take a picture of their set up and send it to me. I have the 2.2L OHV manual transmission. Or if anyone has a suggestion on how to try to figure it out, that would help too.

Thanks, Bill
Friday, June 11th, 2010 AT 1:02 PM

Hi amraam35, Welcome to 2CarPros.com.

Here are the two wiring diagrams they show for the starter and a guide to help you run some tests:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers
+1
Friday, June 11th, 2010 AT 1:15 PM
S.P.M.187@HOTMAIL.COM
  • 2001 PONTIAC SUNFIRE
Four cylinder automatic

I just replaced my started but my wiring is not right. How do I figure out how to correct it and put the wires in the proper spots?
Friday, June 22nd, 2018 AT 12:36 PM (Merged)
See below.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_starter_11.jpg

-1
PJWJRW
  • 1998 PONTIAC SUNFIRE
My daughter was driving in a snow storm yesterday and was stuck many times needing to be pushed out but she made it finally to work. When she left work she got in her car and went to start vehicle but nothing happened. The lights and power in car work fine but the car did not turn over. I went today to look at the starter and noticed that she had wires hanging down that should not be hanging there. Coming off the solenoid off the top of the starter is a one red and one purple wire that is encased in a plastic casing and at the end is a end of a wire harness that is not plugged in. It has a green plug that is plugged into a large grey relay that looks like has pulled out of the male end of this relay. Can someone help me identify what relay this is or where it is located to see if I can plug this back in if it is not torn off?