2001 PONTIAC SUNFIRE PICTURE OF STARTER WIRING PLEASE

• Amraam35
  • 2001 PONTIAC SUNFIRE

2001 Pontiac Sunfire 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 80000 miles

Hello, I replaced the transmission and clutch in my car, having to remove the entire transmission as a unit to to it, then replaced it. It went fine until I went to install the starter again. I remember taking 3 wires off, 1 signal wire and 2 larger wires from the alt and batt. However when I went to put it back together, I had an extra large wire. The wiring did not match the wiring diagram in the haynes manual, because in this car, the ignition signal goes to a starter relay, which the signal wire comes out of and goes to the starter. However, the power in line from the relay, I cant figure out where it goes. It appears that they only place it goes is the starter, to get a constant source of power. I dont remember it like this, but seems to be the only option. Oh, and while doing this I accidently touched the terminals on the starter together and sparks flew. When I tried to start it, the lights dont work, the dash/interior lights flash, and the starter doesnt work. Sounds like its draining power though when I turn the ignigtion. My thinking is either I have the starter wired wrong, or I blew some electrical thing when I touched the terminals. Or both. Since the wiring diagram is not good (doesnt even show relay), I was hoping someone could take a pic of their set up and send it to me. I have the 2.2L OHV manual tranmission. Or if anyone has a suggestion on how to try to figure it out, that would help too.

Thanks, bill

Friday, June 11th, 2010 AT 1:02 PM

• Rasmataz

Hi amraam35, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation

Look at the color wires on the crank relay is it the same colors as yours?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_starter_relay_13.jpg

Here's an earlier start circuit

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_starter_relay_b_1.jpg

-1
Friday, June 11th, 2010 AT 1:15 PM