2000 Pontiac Grand Prix 2000 Grand Prix GTP stalls

MENDIMARVD
  • 2000 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
I have 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, it seems like it only happes in the summer, some times after turning on the AC the engine stalls after about 15-20 minutes, but now even if I don't turn on the AC the engine stalls, if I wait about 5-10 minutes it starts right up and it is good for another 15-20 minutes then it starts all over again
1. New fuel pump and fuel filter
2. New tune-up
3. Clean the injectors
4. No codes
it runs beutiful with a lot of powr when it is running
thank you
Monday, April 27th, 2009 AT 6:07 PM

Check the catylatic converter to make sure it isn't plugging. I have seen situations when the insides come loose, the car can run fine and then the internal parts move and can shut it down. Have you ever heard any ratteling noises from that area?

Monday, April 27th, 2009 AT 8:58 PM
MENDIMARVD
Thank you Jacob, the catylatic coverter is about 7 months old, any other suggestions
Tuesday, April 28th, 2009 AT 7:51 AM
MENDIMARVD
Sorry! I meant Joe.
Tuesday, April 28th, 2009 AT 7:22 PM
No problem with the name. It sounds like you have replaced a lot already. Without a code, it's tough. Have you checked the map sensor?
Tuesday, April 28th, 2009 AT 8:16 PM
MENDIMARVD
No, I haven't checked the MAP sensor, like you said without a code, it is really tough, I didn't suspect the MAP sensor yet, how do you check it, if there's no code? During the winter it run fine, now that's getting warm, that's when it started doing it, I doesn't over heat, but I was wondering if there's another temp sensor making it do that?
Thank you
Wednesday, April 29th, 2009 AT 10:09 AM
I hate to say it, but you may need to wait until it doesn't start or the check engine light comes on.
Wednesday, April 29th, 2009 AT 10:41 AM
MMPRINCE4000
To add to what Joe, said,

remove and clean idle air control valve, they will sometimes stick in port, make sure ign. Is OFF while doing this. When AC is on, the PCM will command the IAC to open a bit to allow more air because of increased load.

The CAT can be damaged by incorret air/fuel ratio, but also an impact (running over a curb, hitting debris on the road).
Wednesday, April 29th, 2009 AT 11:49 AM
CRAIG2000
I had the same problem with my 2000 GTP. I spent a lot trying to solve the problem. Pontiac dealer put in new ignition coils and new fuel filter. Then plugs and wires. No help. But when I put a new battery AND new battery cables in it was fixed. I think it might be a spark that you need from a good cable. Good luck, the last time mine stalled it was at 75 mph on a crowded interstate (not cool).
Sunday, May 3rd, 2009 AT 1:47 AM