98 Pontiac Grand Am Dies suddenly. High RPMs

CHRISTI992
  • 1998 PONTIAC GRAND AM
I have a 98 Pontiac Grand Am with a 3.1 with 100K miles. It has been idling up recently and no matter what will not idle down until I turn it off several times. I replaced the MAP sensor (like a mechanic told me to do) and it seemed to help for a while, but it went back the the same prob. (Also the brakes are very hard to push when it is revved up. So I was thinking a vacuum leak. But have not found one) The other more annoying problem I am having with this car is it just dies going down the road. I have to pull over and turn the car off, then restart it. It usually restarts, but sometimes does not. No one knows what is wrong with it. I have four kids and cannot be stuck on the side of the road. I need help with this please!
Tuesday, October 16th, 2007 AT 5:01 PM

BMRFIXIT
Hello
Do you have check engine light coming on?
Brake paddle very hard
check the vacuum supply to booster
If supply is good unplug the vacuum from the booster and seal the vacuum
start car check the idle
Good luck
Tuesday, October 16th, 2007 AT 5:58 PM
CHRISTI992
The Check engine light is on. I have had it tested and it says misfire on number 3. It has been like this for a while. I have replaced plugs wires and coil pack.
Tuesday, October 16th, 2007 AT 6:56 PM
BMRFIXIT
Not every misfire is a spark problem
Check vacuum leaks injector engine compression
Tuesday, October 16th, 2007 AT 9:00 PM