STARTS THEN DIES, BUT WILL EVENTUALLY STAY RUNNING

1999 Pontiac Grand Am

JHenriksen

December, 26, 2011 AT 7:27 PM

I have a 99 Pontiac Grand Am 3.4L When I go to start it, it fires then dies, It will do this 3 or 4 times before I can keep it will stay running. And to get it to stay running I end up having to push the accelerator 1/4 to 1/2 throttle and hold the key in start position for a few seconds after it initially fires. After I get it to stay running it runs great.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

saturntech9

December, 26, 2011 AT 7:35 PM

The first thing I would check for is codes have you done that yet?Also do you have a multimeter to do some testing?You could have a bad coolant temp sensor it would make sense for your symptoms.

JHenriksen

December, 26, 2011 AT 7:39 PM

I don't have a reader for the newer stuff. Yet. It Does it hot or cold

caradiodoc

December, 26, 2011 AT 7:44 PM

Hi saturntech9. How about low oil level / pressure and the fuel pump is switched on by oil pressure? I don't know which years or models that applies to but sure sounds like how that system acted.

Wrenchtech

December, 26, 2011 AT 7:57 PM

Hey Doc, The fuel pumps that are integrated into the fuel pump circuit are done so as redundant power supplies for the pump. The relay will pre-empt the oil sender, unless it is bad.

saturntech9

December, 26, 2011 AT 8:31 PM

It wouldnt hurt caridodoc jhenriksen check your oil level see if its low. Also take it to a auto parts store like auto zone and have them scan the computer for codes. If you have any codes then let me know the exact code numbers not the code descriptions. Also a multimeter would be helpful to test things.

JHenriksen

December, 26, 2011 AT 10:38 PM

Oil level is good. I will get it scanned. I do have a mulitmeter.

saturntech9

December, 26, 2011 AT 10:52 PM

Alright let me know about the codes and we will go from there.

JHenriksen

December, 31, 2011 AT 11:35 PM

No codes, fuel pressure kinda dances from low to high 40s as I crank it over and its trying to start.

saturntech9

January, 1, 2012 AT 12:02 AM

Pull the fuel pressure regulator vacuum line off the nipple see if there is fuel coming out of the nipple.

JHenriksen

January, 1, 2012 AT 12:16 AM

Nope, its dry