2002 Pontiac Grand Am Will not start

PROBLEMGRANDAM
  • 2002 PONTIAC GRAND AM
Have 2002 grand am that I have not driven in about a month and went to go use it and it will crank over but wont start. The battery is fully charged, checked the fuel relay switch it is good and there seems to be fuel in the fuel rail. Have not checked for fuel pressure but I can spray starting fluid in it and it will run for a bit then die. It also has enough gas in it and spark is good.
Tuesday, March 9th, 2010 AT 1:38 PM

Do you hear the fuel pump come On for 2 secs if so check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter and fuel pump, now if not check the fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay
Tuesday, March 9th, 2010 AT 1:56 PM
PROBLEMGRANDAM
Thanks for the response. I do hear the fuel pump come on and I replaced the fuel filter and no luck on having any fuel pressure. Could this be the fuel pressure regulator?
Wednesday, March 10th, 2010 AT 2:20 PM
No fuel pressure the fuel pump has to produce it before the fuel pressure regulator regulates the pressure in the system
Wednesday, March 10th, 2010 AT 3:22 PM
PROBLEMGRANDAM
Thanks for help on this matter. It seems odd for a fuel pump to work when last time I drove it and after sitting for awhile ( about a month) does not and I can hear the fuel pump come on. Is there something else I can check or is pulling the fuel pump the next move? Again thanks
Thursday, March 11th, 2010 AT 5:41 AM
Hook up a fuel pressure gauge and check the pressure if its within specs before you pull the pump.
Thursday, March 11th, 2010 AT 7:47 AM
PROBLEMGRANDAM
Hooked up fuel pressure guage and no pressure, but gas is coming out the schrader valve when pressure is released.
Thursday, March 11th, 2010 AT 8:11 AM
Best investigate the fuel pump though it coming On-sounds like its defective if there's no pressure at the regulator-
Thursday, March 11th, 2010 AT 8:15 AM
PROBLEMGRANDAM
Really appreciate the help and insight! I have heard of the security feature shutting gas off but usaully the security light flashes and mine does not. Is this something to look at or investigate into further?
Thursday, March 11th, 2010 AT 8:29 AM
PROBLEMGRANDAM
Think for the help got it started without changing fuel pump.
Saturday, March 13th, 2010 AT 9:10 AM
CYYC03
So.I've got the same problem. How did you get your's started?
Monday, May 24th, 2010 AT 11:51 AM