2002 Pontiac Grand Am

DAYMONDH
  • 2002 PONTIAC GRAND AM
I turn the key and the starter won't ingage. I can ingage the starter by jumping the cylinoid but the car won't crank. What can I do to fix this?
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 AT 12:20 AM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
It might be the starter relay. Look inside the power distribution box and you will find several relays. They should all be the same so swap out the A/C and starter relays and see if it starts. In many cases these work in series, the engine control computer, starter, and fuel pump might be connected and if one is bad none of the systems will function. Check the fuseable links and main fuses as well.
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 AT 12:47 AM
DAYMONDH
I changed the starter relay but still nothing. I remember seeing the sucurity light blinking as I was going to my destination and when I shut the car off that when it happened. Could that have anything to do with it?
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 AT 6:10 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Ah, I see. Yes, that is exactly what it is. I believe the chip (PASS II) in your key has failed. You will have to get another key made at the dealership. I do believe this can be quiet expensive(around $150 for key with chip and programming it). Unless you have a spare key with the chip in it as well?
Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 12:24 AM
DAYMONDH
I tried my wifes key and still nothing but I do hear a click in the dash when I turn the key that seems to be comming from around the glove box. I just can't pinpoint it.
Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 12:50 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
The click is probably from a relay which is preventing the starter to engage.

Try disconnecting the ground wire on your battery and leave it off for at least 10 minutes. Then reconnect it and try to start. This should reset the computers.

Go ahead and try that and post your results. I will follow up and see which relays are in the area you described.
Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 12:55 AM
DAYMONDH
I had the battery out of the car for 2 hours. Still not working.
Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 1:05 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Okay. I believe it is your theft-deterrent module that is clicking. You may need to reset the theft-deterrent system by owner's manual instructions, or the module itself may be faulty and need replaced. Can you try reseting the system now, or do you have a manual?
Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 1:13 AM
DAYMONDH
I don't have a manual
Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 1:18 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
You should be able to call your dealer and ask how to reset the system. I am unsure of how to do that on your specific vehicle, sorry. Although, the clicking is definitely from a relay and the anti-theft deterrent module is usually located behind the glove box in most newer vehicles.
Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 1:25 AM
DAYMONDH
I will find a manual and get back with you later its 3:am so it's bedtime for me.
Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 2:04 AM
DAYMONDH
I called the dealership and they told me how to reset the scurity system and it worked. Just in case you run across this problem again this is what you do. You turn the key on and leave it on for 15 minutes then cut it off then turn it on for another 15 minutes then turn it off then turn it on for another 15 minutes then turn it off then crank your vehicle. Thank you for helping me pinpoint the problem. If it wasn't for you guys I would have probabley spent hundreds of dollars to get it fixed.
Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 12:00 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Great! I'm glad that your vehicle is up and running again and sorry I kept you up so late last night trying to fix it, haha.

Thanks for the donation and thanks for using 2carpros. Com!
Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 12:15 PM