1999 PONTIAC GRAND AM IDLE CONTROL MOTOR

• jusduckie
  • 1999 Pontiac Grand Am

1999 Pontiac Grand Am 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 84500 miles

my car was having trouble starting. It would turn over but acted like it wasnt getting any gas. When I gave it gas at the start, it would catch and start ok. I spoke to a friend who suggested maybe it was the fuel injector and said to by a cleaner, which I did. The car started just fine for about a day or two. Then it acted as if it couldnt get any gas and kept stalling. Told the mechanic this. They just replaced the idle control motor. After reading a few of the posts on this site I'm a bit concerned they may have replaced the wrong part. This car also has a security feature that if it senses the car is not being started properly it shuts the gas off to the car. This started to happen 2 weeks prior to the problem described above. Could this be related?

Wednesday, July 14th, 2010 AT 2:20 PM

• mmprince4000

If security light is flashing, you need to reset it. Procedure is in owners manual.

IAC that is fully closed will cause a no start, as it restricts air flow to engine.

Thursday, July 15th, 2010 AT 8:54 AM