FUEL PUMP

1989 Pontiac Firebird

smpuckett

November, 18, 2008 AT 3:09 PM

1989 Pontiac Firebird 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 171000 miles

This morning on my way to work my car just quit. I still cranks over, but won't fire. It gave no warning which makes me think it was the fuel pump as opposed to the fuel filter or anything to do with the ignition swith, plugs or distributor. Can you tell me what you think and where is the fuel pump cut off, as when you are in an accident. I'd like to try that, even though there was no accident.

November, 18, 2008 AT 3:53 PM

If your talking about a bump switch for the fuel system, I've only seen that on some Ford systems, not GM.

Can you check for trouble codes? On some systems, the computer monitors the voltage on the fuel pump circuit, if there is no voltage when there should be, a code may set. Check fuel pressure?

You could also check for spark at the plugs. You could use a cheap spark tester or use a known good spark plug, just pull a plug wire loose at the plug, insert the good plug in the boot, ground metal part of plug against metal part of engine, have a helper crank it, while you watch for spark at the tip of plug.

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang